Union Pacific Heritage Fleet

hindesky

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Heritage Fleet was in Houston the last several days taking city dignitaries and customers on small tours of the track. I saw the trains parked at the Amtrak Station a few days ago so I parked at the station and tried to take some pictures. The HPD officer wouldn't let go to the other side but I was able to get some pics of it. He said this was its' last day here. They were about to leave for a tour.

EmhBsH1.png

zRT6ouL.png

2JvGr0Z.png

My pics.

8qhNDV5.jpeg

gSa0P7c.jpeg

390m3pC.jpeg

2zhrBqZ.jpeg

CSNdIWy.jpeg

uYA92GD.jpeg

4aIHkUi.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

From an email I received........

Big Boy No. 4014 Will Steam Across 10 Midwestern and Southern States

Union Pacific's legendary Big Boy No. 4014, the world's largest operating steam locomotive built to conquer mountains, will embark on a second tour this year, with a trip planned this fall in middle America, including Chicago and Houston.

The "Heartland of America Tour" will start Thursday, Aug. 29 in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and include nine additional states: Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas. The eight-week tour concludes in late October.

Scheduled Display Days:

Sunday, Sept. 8: Rochelle, Illinois (Chicago metro area)
Sunday, Oct. 6: Houston, Texas
Thursday/Friday, Oct. 10-11: Fort Worth, Texas

Additional route details with locations and times will be shared closer to the tour.  In all, Big Boy No. 4014 will visit 14 states in 2024, including five states during this summer's "Westward Bound" tour from Wyoming to California.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got there shortly after 9:00 am and it was already packed, I think half of Harris County was there. Hard to get close to the trains due to the crowd. We also couldn't get access to the rest of the cars. I'm sure most people were like me and wanted to get back home for the NFL games at noon.

N2ucxq7.jpeg

adVMz9n.jpeg

One of the local TV nation's was doing interviews with people.

X8c7jty.jpeg

MazADPd.jpeg

SUQiLbw.jpeg

ehpNOkA.jpeg

Ks6G8kD.jpeg

x4HRRYR.jpeg

f8bnXLE.jpeg

pfU32s4.jpeg

JpAuF04.jpeg

rfz0knp.jpeg

Zrqw5fO.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

What was the story behind the train on the trailer?

I tried looking up the web address but couldn't find anything. They were about to leave so no one was available to talk to.

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

I tried looking up the web address but couldn't find anything. They were about to leave so no one was available to talk to.

We talked to someone. They said that it's to get this train a home after a deal fell through. I think he said this was just a part of the actual train and something about the property requiring 40 acres. There are stipulations where this train can go... so for example, he said it couldn't be housed at Discovery Green because there just isn't enough space for the entire line that comes with it. 

Edit: Oh looks like the link works now: https://homeless-rails.net/

In 2022 in conjunction with Harris County Precinct 4 and the Texas Railroad Heritage Museum we planned to colocate on vacant county property in Hockley Texas as a railroad museum with a train ride. Harris County ended negotiations after the November election. We had already purchased the former Michigan and Ausable Valley Railroad and completed its relocation. We are currently located in a warehouse in Porter Texas.

Didn't make it there during the public viewing today, but based on the stops here in previous years I figured it was going to be a mob scene. So we went over there about 9PM tonight, when it was basically deserted except for security and a few UP workers. Barricades were up to prevent anyone from getting very close (you can't see them in the photos, but we're right up against the temporary barricades adjacent to the station). 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Didn't make it there during the public viewing today, but based on the stops here in previous years I figured it was going to be a mob scene. So we went over there about 9PM tonight, when it was basically deserted except for security and a few UP workers. Barricades were up to prevent anyone from getting very close (you can't see them in the photos, but we're right up against the temporary barricades adjacent to the station). 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My sister went to Navasota today to see the train pulling in. She lives in Magnolia so it wasn't a long trip for her. She sent a video. People were able to stand very close to the tracks. It was awesome I'm sure.