Any thoughts on redeveloping the Whataburger fast food establishment in River Oaks?

How about a small deli or bistro that serves sandwiches, soups, and salads? Maybe have local beer taps and frozen drinks such as margaritas and sangria?

Any idea what type of business was here before Whataburger? It has been there for 20 years if I recall correctly.

I stopped by today and took pictures of the building and sign:

bRyPSlo.jpeg

douKjHM.jpeg

• Like 1

In 1973, Herfy's, a chain out of Seattle, built a location there.  Can't remember what it was before that.

How Seattle & Campbell’s Soup helped shape the history of Whataburger in Houston – Houston Historic Retail

(last entry in that post)

In another thread, probably one of the restaurant threads in the historic forum, I identified that as a chain I had encountered in Virginia during many visits tracing my family genealogy, but I was wrong.  Herfy's was really very mediocre.

Whata is better than Herfy's for sure, but maybe the nice folks in RO would like to be able to send their butlers over to an In n Out or Shake Shack to pick up some burgers for the family?  I miss the Kip's (?) Big Boy at Westheimer & Wesleyan.

17 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Any thoughts on redeveloping the Whataburger fast food establishment in River Oaks?

How about a small deli or bistro that serves sandwiches, soups, and salads? Maybe have local beer taps and frozen drinks such as margaritas and sangria?

That's a very busy What-A-Burger. Cars lined up for lunch, and a steady stream of traffic the rest of the day. For many of the workers in this area, it's an affordable lunch spot.

Unless (if/when) the lease drives them away, they will be there forever.

• Like 2

more importantly what in the heckaroonie is going on with that house across the street!?! i know i have mentioned it before in another post but my gosh will it ever be finished!?!

1 hour ago, gene said:

more importantly what in the heckaroonie is going on with that house across the street!?! i know i have mentioned it before in another post but my gosh will it ever be finished!?!

Really good question.  I've often wondered about that house too.  Street View only goes back to November 2007 and it was under construction then!

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, astrohip said:

That's a very busy What-A-Burger. Cars lined up for lunch, and a steady stream of traffic the rest of the day. For many of the workers in this area, it's an affordable lunch spot.

Unless (if/when) the lease drives them away, they will be there forever.

i have contributed to their success with late night and early morning purchases of the honey butter chicken biscuits... 🤪

14 hours ago, brucesw said:

Whata is better than Herfy's for sure, but maybe the nice folks in RO would like to be able to send their butlers over to an In n Out or Shake Shack to pick up some burgers for the family? 

Wow, I had almost completely forgotten about Herfy's. I have almost no recollection of the food there, just their logo bearing a picture of a steer. 

If a Whataburger were to ever be replaced by an In-N-Out, that would probably be grounds for a mob bearing pitchforks and torches to converge on it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2024 at 12:21 AM, brucesw said:

Whata is better than Herfy's for sure, but maybe the nice folks in RO would like to be able to send their butlers over to an In n Out or Shake Shack to pick up some burgers for the family?

Ha! That shows how little you know. We would send our valets over, not our butlers. 😁🤣

• Like 1