The River Oaks Theater at 2009 West Gray Street

Hi! Since I didn't see a thread specifically for the historic River Oaks Theater i thought i would start one...

(of course lots of info is here which to me didn't make too much sense that there wasn't a thread just for the theater... but whatever ;) )

and here is some new(ish) news regarding the theater... i am pasting the article since the Houston Chronicle only allows you to see their articles with a membership (although i think you can see the site a certain amount of times before it asks you to subscribe) https://www.chron.com/culture/article/houston-river-oaks-theatre-reopening-19446666.php

It's been two years since the River Oaks Theatre made the grand announcement that the historic movie-house staple (come November, it’ll be around for 85 years) will be back for local moviegoers. Unpaid, pandemic-related lease obligations forced the three-auditorium complex to say farewell the year before, making it yet another arthouse in the nationwide Landmark Theatres chain to close in recent years. But on Saturday, May 18, River Oaks Theatre will reopen its doors for a day of festivities, organized by the Friends of River Oaks Theatre nonprofit crew. Their donors (also known as “cinephile members”) will go on a hard-hat tour of the theater’s interior. After that, they’ll head over to Star Cinema Grill at CityCentre to see the upcoming Netflix film Hit Man, starring Anyone But You leading man Glen Powell and directed by proud Houstonian Richard Linklater, who’ll be around for a post-screening Q&A

“Reagarding the re-opening, It’s imminent, but I don’t have a date,” McNamara said. “I feel like there has been lots of speculation about, you know, ‘We really hope that it will happen this summer.’ And, then, we find a blown-out, old clay sewer line underneath the floor of the main auditorium, and that has to be jackhammered out and relaid.” 

“I do appreciate the passion of those of us who have remained committed to keeping arthouse cinema alive in Houston,” said Kristian Salinas, who has done film programming for Rice Cinema, Angelika Film Center, and QFest. “That kind of passion you’re not gonna find in other places. I spent years living in Los Angeles, and that just wasn’t there — but we have it. And I think in spite of the many obstacles that we have to do what we do, we’re committed to it.”

May 12, 2024
Craig Lindsey

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just announced:

Opening October 2024!

https://secrethouston.com/saved-river-oaks-theatre/

7/16/24- The theater’s new artistic director in charge of film and programming, Robert Saucedo, told the Houston Chronicle that the River Oaks Theatre will reopen in Houston this October. Saucedo was previously a senior film buyer for Alamo Drafthouse’s Chicago, Dallas, El Paso, Houston, and Lubbock markets.

Edited by gene
  • Like 7

new article naming the Artistic Director for the theater:

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/river-oaks-theatre/

with 2 things that really caught my attention:

1) that he launched his own Horror Film Festival...which is awesome since that is my favorite film genre...so hoping he brings that to the theater! 

and 

2) that they are keeping it a 3 screen theater!?!? oy...perhaps with new seating i will like it more but man oh man i hated that upstairs balcony being turned into 2 awkward, weirdly angled and claustrophobic theaters... 

as mentioned before, i am super excited to see what this becomes as i am a long time fan of the theater since the 80s! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just a note (and wish i could edit the above post...) but the new Artistic Director, Robert Saucedo is cool as hell! I have been doing a little research and not only did he serve as the events coordinator at Alamo Draft House for 13 years, but he focused ALOT on horror and the weird and strange....AND he is an accomplished horror comic author (!!!). We even connected on social media and turns out he is the nicest guy as well! Dang, this is going to be FUN!!! So excited to see what the future becomes for River Oaks Theater!!!!

should be a scary good time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so excited for this hire.  Excellent news and very happy to hear the theatre will remain 3 screens.  My guess is the theatre will require exclusive films and events to thrive.  I doubt Rocky Horror comes back due to potential damage to the theatre.  I hope the studios will help not just theatre chains but all theatres by holding off releasing films on streaming so quickly.  I will most definitely be there in October.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Saucedo, who has been on the job for about two weeks, says filmgoers can expect a return of the lineup of prestige art-house films for which the River Oaks Theatre was known for years. But we will also continue to midnight screenings of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/movies_tv/article/river-oaks-theatre-robert-saucedo-19566990.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

"Saucedo, who has been on the job for about two weeks, says filmgoers can expect a return of the lineup of prestige art-house films for which the River Oaks Theatre was known for years. But we will also continue to midnight screenings of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/movies_tv/article/river-oaks-theatre-robert-saucedo-19566990.php

yeah...i was going to say... haha 

guess they didn't read the full article ;) 

3 hours ago, JBTX said:

Is he the guy who also used to run Tough Guy Cinema? 80's action flicks with cap guns and in-theatre 'splosions were just so much fun.

Yes it is! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gene said:

Just a note (and wish i could edit the above post...) but the new Artistic Director, Robert Saucedo is cool as hell! I have been doing a little research and not only did he serve as the events coordinator at Alamo Draft House for 13 years, but he focused ALOT on horror and the weird and strange....AND he is an accomplished horror comic author (!!!). We even connected on social media and turns out he is the nicest guy as well! Dang, this is going to be FUN!!! So excited to see what the future becomes for River Oaks Theater!!!!

should be a scary good time!

One of my friends has been a regular for years at many of the special events Rob has programmed at the Alamo, and knows him pretty well. The River Oaks could not have made a better hire to oversee their programming. I fully expect the theater to display more vitality than it has at any point since its rep-house glory days of the 70s and 80s. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This hiring is really cool and I really hope we see the independent film availability in Houston return and turn into something new and bigger. The fact that Houston is constantly left out of first national run on smaller films (non A24 or Neon) is shameful. Really hasn't been the same since Sundance became AMC. Always thought Alamo Drafthouse would eventually come to the loop and change the scene and i know they were planning on starting a foothold here with Regent Square about a decade ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Houston chamber orchestra ROCO (formerly the River Oaks Chamber Orchestra) is known for taking its music well outside traditional venues for classical music. Its upcoming 20th season will be no exception with events scheduled for Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Houston Botanic Garden, the MD Anderson Cancer Center Park Atrium and Fifth Ward's DeLuxe Theatre.

But there is one performance that will be especially notable to lovers of both classic film and Houston's soon-to-be-reopened River Oaks Theatre. On April 11, 2025, ROCO will be accompanying a screening of the 1926 Buster Keaton silent comedy "The General" as well as "Music Land" from Disney's "Silly Symphony" series.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/movies_tv/article/roco-river-oaks-theatre-the-general-19618868.php

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1