United States Custom House At 701 San Jacinto St.

Cool old building I walked by today. 

Information about the Custom House on the GSA website:

https://www.gsa.gov/real-estate/historic-preservation/explore-historic-buildings/find-a-building/all-historic-buildings/us-custom-house-houston-tx

The U.S. Custom House occupies an entire block in the central business district of Houston, Texas. It was built as a post office and courthouse between 1907 and 1911 and later converted to use as the custom house.

The Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the building in the Second Renaissance Revival style.

The building was originally constructed to house the federal district court, a post office, and other federal offices.

Pictures I took today:

FP4xiWG.jpeg

7aY4goB.jpeg

• Like 1

Still makes me sad that Customs packed their bags and moved up near Bush. I'd meet in person with them a lot more if they stayed!

The Port would make more sense, but oh well. Plenty of office parks up north.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JBTX said:

Still makes me sad that Customs packed their bags and moved up near Bush. I'd meet in person with them a lot more if they stayed!

The Port would make more sense, but oh well. Plenty of office parks up north.

I believe they also have locations on South Shepherd, out near the port, and by Hobby Airport.

12 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Cool old building I walked by today. 

Information about the Custom House on the GSA website:

https://www.gsa.gov/real-estate/historic-preservation/explore-historic-buildings/find-a-building/all-historic-buildings/us-custom-house-houston-tx

The U.S. Custom House occupies an entire block in the central business district of Houston, Texas. It was built as a post office and courthouse between 1907 and 1911 and later converted to use as the custom house.

The Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the building in the Second Renaissance Revival style.

The building was originally constructed to house the federal district court, a post office, and other federal offices.

Pictures I took today:

FP4xiWG.jpeg

7aY4goB.jpeg

Nice info.  Any idea what offices are currently in this building?

• Like 1

I always see what I assume are uniformed recruiters walking in and out with younger people. Now that I think about that, did customs move recently? I haven't noticed that in a while, so that may not be the case anymore. 

• Like 1

I found this:

Military Entrance Processing Station

701 South San Jacinto Street
PO Box #52309
Houston, TX 77052-2309

https://www.mepcom.army.mil/Units/Western-Sector/9th-Battalion/Houston/

I think I remember seeing a Navy Recruitment center sign outside. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I believe they also have locations on South Shepherd, out near the port, and by Hobby Airport.

Tiny office on South Shepherd. I forget which group is at the Hobby location, but I've only dealt with them once. The main office is at 2350 N Sam Houston Pkwy E #900, Houston, TX 77032. Deal with them daily in my day job.

7 hours ago, jermh said:

I always see what I assume are uniformed recruiters walking in and out with younger people. Now that I think about that, did customs move recently? I haven't noticed that in a while, so that may not be the case anymore. 

Customs' main offices have been at IAH for at least the last 10 years that I've been working with them. If I recall, older coworkers said they mostly left the downtown office in the late 80s, splitting into various offices across the city. There is also a small field office on S. Shepherd, a group by Hobby (more like Gulfgate, really), and of course a field office at the port.

Edited by JBTX
  • Like 1