Hurricane Beryl

I didn't see a thread for the latest Hurricane Beryl in the Gulf. When it reaches Houston is should be downgraded to a Tropical Storm?

Shouldn't hit Houston that bad?  Lots of wind and rain, but that's typical. 

I'll be stocking up on water, bread, peanut butter, canned beans, and beer :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
17 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

I didn't see a thread for the latest Hurricane Beryl in the Gulf. When it reaches Houston is should be downgraded to a Tropical Storm?

Shouldn't hit Houston that bad?  Lots of wind and rain, but that's typical. 

I'll be stocking up on water, bread, peanut butter, canned beans, and beer :ph34r:

Don't forget the ice.  No one likes warm beer.

• Thanks 1

Not looking forward to this storm at all.  I loved hurricanes when I was growing up!

Beryl should be a good litmus test for measures taken in the Medical Center (i.e., flood mitigation and emergency power, etc.) since Harvey. The “derecho” in May really didn’t impact the Med Center.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

I'm considered an essential worker so I hope I can go in.

METRORail is delayed until 8:00AM. Possibly even further is there's major flooding around.

hgb.50 is correct.  I do know TMC Helix Park was designed for this sort of thing.  Should not see any flood waters inside the buildings--

The project will raise the ground plane of the site’s interior — from the finished first floors of each building to the helix gardens — by as much as 8 feet. Supported by a 3.4-million-gallon subterranean cistern, the 11.5 acres of MYKD designed open space, with over 400 new trees, will absorb approximately 2.3 million gallons of rainwater, storing and filtering it for reuse and release in a highly controlled protocol.

PPD5kXb.png

r27KNOg.png

• Like 1

CM was preparing for the hurricane today.

I was at CM yesterday as well, when the storm first hit.  The wind was so strong I backed away from the exit door. Soon after CM partners shut the door and deployed anti-water devices. 

Seeing my "home away from home" preparing for a weather event is a shocking moment.  CM has never flooded, so I think they'll be okay!

Windows are boarded with metal, not wood!

qaoqrSO.jpeg

9uZBMIT.jpeg

I'm in Sugar Land and have never been that scared for a hurricane. The tracker shows the eye getting a bit close to my area with wind gusts to be up to 70 mph at its peak. I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep knowing this. Made an entire new garden bed in my backyard with many new plants which will most likely not make it :(

• Like 1

Good morning HAIF just checking in—

My mom’s property down the street got damaged. A tree fell on the roof causing (minor) damage.

I personally don’t have power, nor flooding! Just strong winds.

Making my coffee pour over on the gas stove.

Enjoy your day everyone. Good luck.

Posted (edited)

In Woodland Heights we lost power at 8:00 a.m.  Still have strong gusts coming through... some tree branches on the street but not as bad as "derecho" so far.   Hoping this blows completely through in the next hour. 

My sister in Missouri City had her fence blown down.   I imagine there will be a lot of damage in that area. 

Edited by hbg.50
  • Like 1

Someone living in the Catalyst apartments next to the Holiday Inn going up posted a video of the tower crane spinning around in the storm. That's what they should do, if they don't spin it is much more likely to fall.

YwtiSY3.png

• Like 3

IMG_1892.jpeg

Remember when we were told that privatizing the electric system would make power outages a thing of the past because the magic, invisible hand of the free market would incentivize companies to ensure that electricity would be delivered more cheaply and more reliably?

Good times. 

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 5

My neighborhood has lots of old Oak trees, lost a bunch of small limbs and lots of leaves. My neighbor moved his cars he normally parks under these trees and his fence to his secondary unit fell on one of his cars. ☹️

3KCFq9l.jpeg

4OxJu1D.jpeg

8tzjc8s.jpeg

VCd79VE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I probably should have piped up about this yesterday, but fact is, I didn't know this section of the forum was here........I'm a storm chaser for the NWS up here in Kansas, however I also have a technical certification for advanced severe weather forecasting.......and ALL the hurricanes I lived through in Houston are to thank for that!  (First one I remember - Alicia.  What a ride!) 

Anyways, my place in Hockley is not very bad off at all.  No downed trees, power's not even out.  Not gloating a bit, because even if I HAD piped up, I'd have been wrong.  I expected the eye of Beryl to make landfall somewhere between Port O' Connor and Palacios, when in reality it made landfall slightly to the east between Matagorda and Sargent. 

Had it gone on the trajectory I had predicted, my place in Hockley would have borne the brunt of the storm.  However, that slight job to the east, and the northeasterly curve movement put the storm further east than I anticipated.  Instead, the eye pretty much went right over my place, and the super-extra-dirty northeast quadrant was off to my east. 

Here's hoping everyone else is light on damage, and that your power is back on soon! 

Edited by Zorin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

My neighborhood has lots of old Oak trees, lost a bunch of small limbs and lots of leaves. My neighbor moved his cars he normally parks under these trees and his fence to his secondary unit fell on one of his cars. ☹️

3KCFq9l.jpeg

4OxJu1D.jpeg

8tzjc8s.jpeg

VCd79VE.jpeg

This happened to my car during the derecho, but the fence fell on my fender and dented it.

Live Oaks seem to be the hardiest for hurricane winds.  I remember after Ike the oaks near Rice University held up pretty well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I think this is across the street from a friend. It was a 2 story house framed out, but there was no exterior sheeting applied yet.  I'll see if I can find his picture of the frame buckling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, samagon said:

I was expecting more centerpoint discussion. I guess everyone that wants CPE to be fixed is still without power.

There's plenty on Reddit, but as usual, there's more heat than light (pun fully intended).

• Like 1

Day 6 without power here. We decided to buy a portable 6500W generator a few days ago, and I decided to risk plugging my PC in today. I hate browsing on my phone, and my fat fingers do not do well on phone keypads, so I am days behind on HAIF.

With the generator, we can charge our fan batteries, phones, have some light and the TV. Our backup Verizon Wireless Home Internet is working well. I haven't tried the AT&T fiber, as I don't have an extension cord long enough to reach its location.

I can tell why our hood doesn't have power, there are some lines down with trees in them just to the North. I think it will be tough for Centerpoint to get in there.

• Like 1

I was at TMC Helix Park today and noticed there was a fuel tanker truck in a surface lot with vehicles in-line.  Must have been (BCM?) employees getting free gas?

I didn't know fuel tankers could directly dispense gas to public vehicles. I guess they just need a hose and an attachment is all.

ZGMPPwK.jpeg

• Like 1