Hurricane Beryl

On 7/24/2024 at 8:53 PM, mkultra25 said:

I've lost count of the times in the past that I was eating at Lola (11th and Yale), and was unable to get anything but a pitifully weak connection from AT&T's LTE network. You'd think that it would be possible to get a strong signal at one of the busiest intersections in the Heights, but no. 

I have had many similar experiences with AT&T LTE in the Heights.  Strangely, though, my phone is 4G/LTE, and when it has problems, my wife's 5G AT&T phone across the table will be fine.  I suppose all AT&T's effort is being put into 5, and 4 is being allowed to fade away.

7 hours ago, editor said:

I have had many similar experiences with AT&T LTE in the Heights.  Strangely, though, my phone is 4G/LTE, and when it has problems, my wife's 5G AT&T phone across the table will be fine.  I suppose all AT&T's effort is being put into 5, and 4 is being allowed to fade away.

My phone is quite elderly, and likewise isn't compatible with 5G. But the issues with AT&T's network in the Heights have been going on as long as I can remember, even when my phone was relatively new. 

I'm probably going to get a new phone this year,  as the (non-user-serviceable) battery is on its last legs, plus I've finally started to run into app compatibility problems due to being unable to update to a newer version of the operating system. Guess I'll get to find out if real 5G compatibility makes a difference in areas that were formerly dead spots.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another piece of damage I haven't seen elsewhere — Apparently part of the roof of the gym at Incarnate Word Academy got ripped off.  It was mentioned in the latest issue of Texas Catholic.

I think it also mentioned that the school lost power, which surprises me, because I didn't think the storm affected the baseball stadium, and I would presume that they share some CenterPoint infrastructure.

CenterPoint contractors are in my neighborhood trimming trees away from power lines.

Cue the local news stories about homeowner "outrage" - I saw one, I assume, homeowner out taking pictures of the workers trimming the trees in front of her house.

I will say, the trees look horrible after the trimming (they just top off anything in the wires), but it is needed to keep them  from taking down wires during wind storms.

38 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

CenterPoint contractors are in my neighborhood trimming trees away from power lines.

Cue the local news stories about homeowner "outrage" - I saw one, I assume, homeowner out taking pictures of the workers trimming the trees in front of her house.

I will say, the trees look horrible after the trimming (they just top off anything in the wires), but it is needed to keep them  from taking down wires during wind storms.

People are always looking for something to be mad about.  If they weren't, the social media companies would be out of business.

As someone who has trimmed more trees than I care to remember, they'll be fine once they leaf out a bit in a few months.  Tell Karen it's just like the way her haircut never looks right until it grows in a little.