2024 Presidential Election

I don't think that's too surprising.  People treat politics like sports now.  It's no longer about doing what's right for the nation, it's about my teams versus your team.  My tribe versus your tribe.  No matter what my guy's faults, he's my guy, so he's always right.  And no matter what your guy's pluses, he's not on my team, so he's the worst person who ever lived.

My observation is that all of this nonsense started in the early 90's when political campaigns started leaning hard on outside consulting firms to win elections, rather than doing the hard work themselves.  Professional consultants have to feed their families and put their kids through schools like anyone else, and if their candidate doesn't win, they lose their jobs.  So telling a bunch of lies about the opposition, or laundering a bunch of money for a client, or pretending that the world is going to end if your candidate doesn't get elected is a far less personal sin that not putting food on the table.

Today, all Joe and Jane Lunchbucket can do is pick the lesser of two weasels.  

• Like 2

This is already the most eventful presidential campaign season that I can remember and we're just barely getting started on the real fun.  One candidate is clearly in mental decline and the other was almost killed in the first assassination attempt on a candidate since 1968.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, editor said:

Today, all Joe and Jane Lunchbucket can do is pick the lesser of two weasels.  

You honestly think the candidates are that close in "weasel-ness" as demonstrated by their observable behavior that the choice is a metaphorical coin flip?

6 hours ago, august948 said:

This is already the most eventful presidential campaign season that I can remember and we're just barely getting started on the real fun.  One candidate is clearly in mental decline and the other was almost killed in the first assassination attempt on a candidate since 1968.

False.  Both of Ford's attempted assassinations occurred within weeks of each other in September 1975 after he announced his candidacy in July 1975.  He lost in 1976.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

False

He stated, "This is already the most eventful presidential campaign season that I can remember."  How can you know his memories?  Are you Zoltan the Great Mind Reader?  Do me next!  What am I thinking right now‽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Well I didn’t know anything about Trump’s VP pick J.D. Vance.  The WSJ  referenced his book Hillbilly Elegy which was made into a movie by Ron Howard.  I watched the movie on Netflix.  He has quite the story and was a marine to boot.  I think he will relate well to the average American.  He is married to an Indian-American.

I’m a sucker for an underdog story.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

False.  Both of Ford's attempted assassinations occurred within weeks of each other in September 1975 after he announced his candidacy in July 1975.  He lost in 1976.

My bad.  I can just barely remember the Ford/Carter election and wasn't aware of this one.

How about JD Vance for vp, a heart-beat away from the presidency?  Can't wait to see the vp debate. 

Another twist on this season will be no more pres debates since I can't imagine they'll put Biden on full display like that again.  Unless, of course, they ditch Biden in yet again another twist.

We're gonna need more popcorn.

12 hours ago, august948 said:

My bad.  I can just barely remember the Ford/Carter election and wasn't aware of this one.

How about JD Vance for vp, a heart-beat away from the presidency?  Can't wait to see the vp debate. 

Another twist on this season will be no more pres debates since I can't imagine they'll put Biden on full display like that again.  Unless, of course, they ditch Biden in yet again another twist.

We're gonna need more popcorn.

Total apologies there, augie, if I came across as "Zoltan the Great Mind Reader" by stating a matter of fact.  

What an absolutely insane election season this time around, and I thought 2020 was nuts. Ha!

I'm not old enough to remember a time before 24 hour news, but I get the feeling that some of that helped to kickstart a lot of what we're dealing with now. Maybe I'm way off-base, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

@august948 thoughts?

:ph34r:

On52mZQ.jpeg

If Biden isn't fit to run for office, then whether or not he's fit to remain in office is a legitimate question.  Maybe he resigns or they 25th amendment him?  That way Harris can claim to be the first woman president before the dems replace her on the ballot with another white dude.  Personally, I hope they nominate Harris and bring in Hillary (or Michelle) as the vp choice but I don't think they're that stupid.  My wild guess at the moment is they'll nominate Newsom and then do a dei pick for vp like Biden did.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2024 at 10:12 PM, august948 said:

If Biden isn't fit to run for office, then whether or not he's fit to remain in office is a legitimate question.  Maybe he resigns or they 25th amendment him?  That way Harris can claim to be the first woman president before the dems replace her on the ballot with another white dude.  Personally, I hope they nominate Harris and bring in Hillary (or Michelle) as the vp choice but I don't think they're that stupid.  My wild guess at the moment is they'll nominate Newsom and then do a dei pick for vp like Biden did.

News is saying Harris has the delegates needed for the nomination.  Now let's see them put in Hillary or Michelle as the vp nominee.  Harris Hillary-ous 2024?

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

Blonde Bimbos and Chads.

gdwcuGN.jpeg

Awesome!  It's great to watch Fox with the sound turned off just for the scenery.  Definitely can't do that with the "ladies" of MSNBC.

• Thanks 1

Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

Yeah....except this is a small snippet from a long speech where he says that Christians don't vote regularly so they just need to go out and vote this one time (that's the "have to vote this time" part) so he can implement an agenda they like.  That's the "it will be fixed" part.  He's playing to his audience, like all politicians do.  And the media is spinning it, like the media does.

Context matters.

watch from 37:30...

• Thanks 1