I never even knew about this! Since when was Bert Wheeler into theatre development?  So Wheeler Enterprises (Palmetto Corporation) contained motels, liquor stores, and theatres.

This was referred to as a proposed building, so it may never have been built?

This architect's sketch by F. Perry Johnston shows the proposed new Bellaire Theatre which F.W. Bert Wheeler plans to construction soon on Bellaire Boulevard, a block east of Old Richmonnd Road. Estimated cost of the building is $85,000. It will front 64 feet on Bellaire and will be 160 feet deep.

Now playing that is posted on the theater has:
Barrymore in The Corn is Green
Cartoon - News - Selector Shcrt

FzhSMp8.jpeg

Perhaps this was an early proposal for the old Bellaire Theatre? I guess the intersections are different.  Bellaire & Bissonnet, and Bellaire and Stella Link.

A photo of the old Bellaire Theater, turned Whole Foods that I took today:

42lCumr.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I never even knew about this! Since when was Bert Wheeler into theatre development?  So Wheeler Enterprises (Palmetto Corporation) contained motels, liquor stores, and theatres.

This was referred to as a proposed building, so it may never have been built?

This architect's sketch by F. Perry Johnston shows the proposed new Bellaire Theatre which F.W. Bert Wheeler plans to construction soon on Bellaire Boulevard, a block east of Old Richmonnd Road. Estimated cost of the building is $85,000. It will front 64 feet on Bellaire and will be 160 feet deep.

Now playing that is posted on the theater has:
Barrymore in The Corn is Green
Cartoon - News - Selector Shcrt

FzhSMp8.jpeg

Old Richmond Road is now Bissonet, so this would have been in the City of Bellaire. The Corn is Green came out in 1945.

• Thanks 1

I think the building that became the Bellaire went up in 1949. Not sure about the Wheeler connection but in the 1950s, the guy who ran it and might have owned the business was Victor Barracco, a retired brigadier general. It was acquired by Tercar Theatres, which also operated the Windsor, Gaylynn, and a handful of other theaters. One or two drive-ins as well. In the 90s, a local group turned the Bellaire into two-screens. 

By the way, the Bellaire was in West University.