Olive Hotel At 808 1/2 Walker St.

Has anyone ever heard of the Olive Hotel in downtown Houston?  I found it in an old (c. 1940s) night view of downtown Houston. It was right across the street (Travis St.) from the Mellie Esperson Building. It is just a small hotel. I have attached a copy of the picture (One copy is colorized).  I'd like to find out when it was built and when it was razed.

Night view of Houston(1).jpg

Night view of Houston(2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hotel was originally an apartment building built in 1909. 15 years later, the apartment was converted into a hotel in the mid 1920s. In 1944, there was a book store called Ziegler's Book Shelf located in the hotel. I believe the hotel was demolished sometime shortly after 1944 because that's where the information stops.

September 1, 1909:

The Sternenberg Apartments, three stories in height and containing fifty-two rooms, were built by Mrs. E.B. Sternenberg. Situated on Milam and Walker, in a desirable residence section of the city. The structure covers a lot 100x100 feet. The fifty-two rooms are supplied with twenty-six bath rooms, besides being supplied with hot and cold water, heat and complete janitor service.  Modern improvements are everywhere installed, the property is valued at $60,000.

June 7, 1924:

Olive Hotel
Formerly Sternenberg Apartments

Nice clean cool rooms. All new furniture and refinished throughout. In the heart of the business district. Strictly high class and reasonable rates.

Kyle Owens, Manager
808 1/2 Walker - Preston 4138

• The title was changed to Olive Hotel At 808 1/2 Walker St.