Park Place Country Club On Broadway St.

I found a rare piece of Houston history! I never even knew this existed, the Park Place Country Club off of Harrisburg Boulevard.

Edit: This would have been in the 1920s.

Too bad photos are almost illegible. Anyone know about this place? I wonder if there are better pics out there!

Bridge and entrance into the country club:

1ItiO9z.jpeg

Country club an other buildings:

Mas1Vr8.jpeg

The cars of the 1920s!

f41Ubky.jpeg

A pool?

qeSBvGT.jpeg

Happy members of the Park Place Country Club:

zNlNgaX.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they mean off Broadway - maybe Harrisburg Rd wasn't named Broadway south of Harrisburg (the town) yet??

I don't think there was ever a different iteration of the Park Place Country Club.

Pretty sure it was only in Park Place where the Botanical Gardens are now and formerly Glenbrook Golf Course.

I do believe that initially you crossed Sims Bayou to enter the Country Club just as the Botanical Gardens do today.

Park Place was developed in 1912 and was an independent city until Houston annexed a large swath in 1928.

Edited by gnu
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Park Place Country Club On Broadway St.
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres a Park Place map from HPL -digital collections.No date is given. It shows the Country Club grounds (where Charlton park is located) and golf links (Glenbrook)  over a small bridge. There's no hint of where the early CC pool was placed. Note the PP entrance road (winding road) coming off Broadway Blvd. Is was called Park Place drive. It has a dotted line (just north of the bayou) on the map. Part of that road is now called River Dr. 

I heard rumors about an early PP (Glenbrook) ballroom that burned down. I've never found any information on it.

The photos above may refer to the East End - Houston Country Club. It's main entrance was originally off of Harrisburg Blvd. Too bad those photos are so dark. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 4.32.59 PM copy.png

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 2

Rio Rita Country Club opened in 1924. It had a 9-hole golf course. It pre-dated Glenbrook. It may have been associated with Meadowbrook's  development.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NenaE said:

Rio Rita Country Club opened in 1924. It had a 9-hole golf course. It pre-dated Glenbrook. It may have been associated with Meadowbrook's  development.

I saw that in my research, even a mention of the Houston Open being played at Glenbrook in 1929, which contradicts the Glenbrook Golf Course history that it opened in 1935.  
Also, The “official PGA” Houston Open was first played in 1946 and won by Byron Nelson.  I wonder if the 1929 tournament was some sort of city championship pre-dating the PGA event?

It’s all very interesting.  I have many memories of playing Glenbrook in the mid-90s and I was always terrified of that first tee shot over the bayou!  Back in those days I was prone to hit “worm burners” off the tee and those were hard to fetch out of the bayou! 😂

Edited by hbg.50
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1