Gas Station/Convenience Store - 701 E 29th St.

hindesky

• 3 weeks later...

I'd guess it can't be rebuilt.

4605(e)(5) of the sign code:

When any sign or a substantial part thereof is blown down or otherwise destroyed, or taken down or removed for any purpose other than maintenance operations or for changing the advertising display pursuant to Section 4605(e)(3), it shall not be re-erected, reconstructed, repaired or rebuilt, except in full conformance with this chapter. For purposes of this subsection, a sign or substantial part thereof is considered to have been destroyed if the cost of re-erecting, reconstructing, repairing or rebuilding the sign is more than 60 percent of the cost of erecting a new sign of the same size, type and equivalent construction at the same location.

3 hours ago, e36bmer said:

I'd guess it can't be rebuilt.

4605(e)(5) of the sign code:

When any sign or a substantial part thereof is blown down or otherwise destroyed, or taken down or removed for any purpose other than maintenance operations or for changing the advertising display pursuant to Section 4605(e)(3), it shall not be re-erected, reconstructed, repaired or rebuilt, except in full conformance with this chapter. For purposes of this subsection, a sign or substantial part thereof is considered to have been destroyed if the cost of re-erecting, reconstructing, repairing or rebuilding the sign is more than 60 percent of the cost of erecting a new sign of the same size, type and equivalent construction at the same location.

I know this is true, but recently a billboard completely fell west of i45 and Fugate during the hurricane, and I saw them constructing it back up last week :( I was happy to see it gone but annoyed to see them rebuild it 

Here's it fully on the floor on google maps

image.png.7e6a9b519b03a8727f242beea0df7d0c.png

Edited by Amlaham

41 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

I know this is true, but recently a billboard completely fell west of i45 and Fugate during the hurricane, and I saw them constructing it back up last week :( I was happy to see it gone but annoyed to see them rebuild it 

Here's it fully on the floor on google maps

image.png.7e6a9b519b03a8727f242beea0df7d0c.png

I noticed the billboard on top of the building near Post Houston was damaged in the storm.  I haven’t driven by to see if it was rebuilt.  I sure hope not…hate that billboard.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hbg.50 said:

I noticed the billboard on top of the building near Post Houston was damaged in the storm.  I haven’t driven by to see if it was rebuilt.  I sure hope not…hate that billboard.

If I recall correctly, they rebuilt that one as well :( I spoke with someone from Scenic Houston and they said they were getting a lot of calls/ complaints about billboards going back up after the storm. The sign code posted above is correct, which prohibits billboards to erect back up if it costs more than 60% of the cost of erecting a new billboard (basically meaning they cannot rebuild them completely). Apparently, according to who I spoke with, she said these billboard companies rebuilt them immediately without any permits just with word of mouth that they just needed to be fixed. Scenic Houston is apparently building a case with the city about multiple billboards from going back up. Hopefully it get resolved!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Amlaham said:

If I recall correctly, they rebuilt that one as well :( I spoke with someone from Scenic Houston and they said they were getting a lot of calls/ complaints about billboards going back up after the storm. The sign code posted above is correct, which prohibits billboards to erect back up if it costs more than 60% of the cost of erecting a new billboard (basically meaning they cannot rebuild them completely). Apparently, according to who I spoke with, she said these billboard companies rebuilt them immediately without any permits just with word of mouth that they just needed to be fixed. Scenic Houston is apparently building a case with the city about multiple billboards from going back up. Hopefully it get resolved!

Yeah, those dirty dogs replaced both billboards near Post Houston.   That makes me mad.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Map with street addresses located on the outlined parcels:

• 6902 N Main St (6902 North Main St)
  • 630 N Loop (630 North Loop)
  • 708 N Loop (708 North Loop)
  • 633 E 29th St (633 East 29th St)
  • 701 E 29th St (701 East 29th St)
  • 707 E 29th St (707 East 29th St)
  • 711 E 29th St (711 East 29th St)

YDDTeeA.jpeg

An application for the abandonment and sale of street or alley was submitted to the city's Joint Referral Committee (JRC) in April. Feroz Panjwani of Panjwani Energy Properties, LLC is the listed applicant.

The developer sought to abandon the 1,440-square-feet alley between 6902 N Main St and 633 E 29th St. JRC approved the application in April.

Below is what the developer submitted:

• Description and square footage of requested street or alley to be abandoned and sold.

Alley, 12 foot wide by 120 foot long; total of 1,440 square feet.

•  Legal description and address of the property abutting the portion of the street or alley to be abandoned and sold, by lot and block, including the name of the subdivision. If the property is not located in a platted subdivision, provide the name of the survey and the abstract number.

6902 N. Main St., Lots 1-5, Block 6, Sunset Heights and 633 E. 29th St. Lots 6-13 Block 6, Sunset Heights, Located in the John Austin Survey, Abstract No. 1, Harris County, Texas.

• Statement of intended use and details of the requested street or alley to be sold, by lot and block, including the name of the subdivision. If the property is not located in a platted subdivision, provide the name of the survey and the abstract number.

Owner has purchased lots east and west of the 12-foot-wide x 120-foot-long alley and is sole owner of all abutting property. Owner intends to build a gas station and convenience store. All lots are to be combined into one reserve by plat and the alley now serves no purpose. All CenterPoint Energy utilities are being removed or relocated from the alley. We have a No Objection Letter from AT&T, but there are no AT&T or Comcast utilities located in the Alley.

• Is there a site plan if the property will be redeveloped? 

Yes. The site plan for a gas station and convenience store will be included with this application.

• What is the timeline for proposed redevelopment?

2024 - 2025 ASAP

• What is the timeline to vacate the property if the property is currently occupied?

This property is vacant. Existing vacant house will be demolished before construction starts. Existing billboard signage (large sign) along Loop 610 is under short term lease (month to month) and a source of income while plat, plans and permits are approved. Billboard will be demolished before construction starts. 

https://popms.houstontx.gov/OnlineJRC/Review/Review/3647

4 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

An application for the abandonment and sale of street or alley was submitted to the city's Joint Referral Committee (JRC) in April. Feroz Panjwani of Panjwani Energy Properties, LLC is the listed applicant.

The developer sought to abandon the 1,440-square-feet alley between 6902 N Main St and 633 E 29th St. JRC approved the application in April.

Below are materials Panjwani Energy Properties, LLC included in their abandonment and sale of street of alley application.

The developer received approval in April to abandon the 1,440-square-feet alley between 6902 N Main St and 633 E 29th St.

q1wk8Ad.jpeg

14x7ZcQ.jpeg

UQkeaGp.jpeg

PZIKqtb.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:48 AM, e36bmer said:

Looks like a Star Stop if it's Panjwani.

@e36bmer you are correct. A Star Stop convenience store will be built on the property. This is based on the site plan Panjwani Energy Properties, LLC included in their abandonment and sale of street of alley application.

As for the gas station, I'm assuming it may be Shell. The gas station's logo is included in the project title. Plans also include a car wash.

The address for the gas station and convenience store is 708 N Loop ( 708 North Loop ).

Text from the site plan:

Commercial Design Guidelines

• Building area calculation

• C-store - 4,632 sq. ft.
    • Car wash - 992 sq. ft.
    • Fuel canopy - 4,700 sq. ft.
    • Total building gross area - 10,324 sq. ft.

• Parking area calculation

• C-store
      • Cars required - 5/1000 s.f. = 24 spaces
        (1 of which must be handicapped accessible)
    • Car wash
      • Cars required - 1 space per stall = 1 spaces

gX0JosK.jpeg

On 9/24/2024 at 10:33 PM, hindesky said:

Another map of the proposed Sunset Heights Plaza subdivision replat.

As noted in the quoted post, the reason the replat is "to create one unrestricted reserve."

Plans for the property include a gas station and convenience store. The address for the forthcoming businesses is 708 North Loop.

Located across the street, is the buildout for a self-storage facility at 502 N Loop (502 North Loop East).

5nbidiw.jpeg

A plan reviewing fee was purchased in April for 708 North Loop / 708 N Loop. In July, a development plats for the same address was acquired.

Details from both:

• Use: 4,632 sf new c-store w/ sitework 1-1-2-M-B '21 IBC M/3
  • FCC Group: Structures other than buildings

As previously mentioned, a gas station and convenience store is planned for the property. The convenience store will be Star Stop. It's possible the gas station could be Shell. 

Plan reviewing fee 

IGRj0h5.png

Development plats

f4EYE37.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2024 at 3:09 PM, hindesky said:

Yeah no one inside the loop owns a car. 🤨

Brother, how many gas stations do we need?? Everyone with a car (including myself) seems pretty satisfied with the current amount of gas stations around. What's the long-term trend for personal vehicles-- are they going to continue to have ICEs?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AS_ said:

Brother, how many gas stations do we need?? Everyone with a car (including myself) seems pretty satisfied with the current amount of gas stations around. What's the long-term trend for personal vehicles-- are they going to continue to have ICEs?

ICEs will still exist for a long time, but the concept of a refueling station doesn't go away when everything goes electric.   Not everyone can plug in at home or work.  And even though electric cars can go much farther than dinosaur burners (The EPA fuel equivalency rating for mine is 106 MPG) they still need energy.  

Big oil companies that are pivoting to being modern energy companies see this.  In the U.S., look at Shell, which has its own network of charging stations.  I've read in the newspaper that another legacy energy company (Chevron, I think) has long-term plans to convert its gas stations to energy hubs, starting by upgrading the convenience stores and adding more fast food restaurants to make them more attractive for EV drivers, and even people who don't drive at all.  It's why there's all the new Laredo Taco joints at the Chevrons.

Wal-Mart, has always placed special emphasis on road trippers because it understands that people who stop, shop.  That's why it allows RVs to camp overnight in its parking lots.  Wal-Mart sees the future, and it's why the Energy America station map is pretty much an overlay of a map of the larger/newer Wal-Mart locations.

My understanding is that gas stations don't have much of a margin on gas anymore, and that the real money comes from getting people inside to buy things or wash their cars.  The owners of those stores are afraid that EV drivers aren't going to stop there anymore, so they're doing what they can to make them more attractive.  A regional chain of gas stations I used to frequent out west has EV chargers at every one of its stations, and puts them right next to the building to draw EV people inside.

• Like 2