The River Oaks Theater at 2009 West Gray Street - Re-opening!

Hi everyone! I had a thread elsewhere but due to being merged into the plaza it is located within, i thought i would start a dedicated thread in the section that makes the most sense! 

Entertainment.

anyway, this landmark theater is re-opening Oct 3rd 2024 with showings almost sold out for opening night (although some are still left for the 1030pm showing of JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX that night!)

https://www.theriveroakstheatre.com/ for tickets and more... 

and https://secrethouston.com/saved-river-oaks-theatre/ for more info on the theater...

but the most exciting thing in my opinion is that Robert Saucedo, former Alamo Drafthouse Events Coordinator, has been named Artistic Director for The River Oaks Theater! 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/river-oaks-theatre-announces-robert-saucedo-as-artistic-director/

this means lots of HORROR and cool events will be coming to The River Oaks Theater, and yes, even The Rocky Horror Picture Show midnight screenings are making a comeback...in fact the first weekend is sold out but Oct 9th currently has a few seats left as of 9/17/24 10am! 

anyway...stay tuned here as i know many people love this theater and have amazing memories involving this theater (including mine of seeing The Adventures Of Baron Von Munchausen here and being blown away but that film, and seeing a sneak preview of The Blair Witch Project back when we KNEW this was a REAL found footage film! haha!...such a blast seeing that with a fully invested audience!)

AND Culinary Khancepts is behind Leo’s River Oaks, a fine dining establishment nestled in the heart of Houston next to the historic River Oaks Theater. Led by former Underbelly Hospitality chef THE Tim Reading (!!!), Leo’s promises an eloquent twist on fine dining, offering the best in steaks, seafood, and an unmatched wine selection opening in late spring 2024. It is unclear at this time if they will be the one behind providing the in-theater dining experience for the theater as well but the full menu for the theater can be found here: https://www.theriveroakstheatre.com/menu and more about Tim here: https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/rising-star-chef-takes-his-talents-to-hotly-anticipated-new-river-oaks-restaurant/

So happy this theater is back AND completely refurbished at that...(and yes, thankfully NEW super comfy seats, each with it's own dining table as well!) 

See you at the movies!

gene

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

okay, so last night was the Grand Re-Opening of The River Oaks Theater!

Parking was easy, and we paid for parking right in front of the adjacent cafe and the cost was just under 5.00! 

Upon arrival we went to the box office and showed our QR code and were given a ticket AND this super cool gold coin that have the theater and re-opening date on it! (AND Bedrock Comics was a sponsor and we were given various comic books!)

Walking in you immediately notice the old school theater experience...lush color palette, bar on the left and ALL the workers are wearing black pants, white button down shirts and black bowties and black vests. Everyone was super friendly, accommodating and you could tell they were as excited to be there as we were.

The theater downstairs looks the same in that walls, art, stage have just been refurbished...but it is the seats that make this theater SO much better than before! HUGE aisle/walkways with seats that feel like marshmallows (so much so that i thought i may fall asleep at this 1030pm showing of the 3 hr film the new Joker film...which btw i didn't and it was great 8/10) and each comes with a swivel table and button to call your waiter. Those seats were so comfortable...wow. The sound was really great as well and you could feel the powerful moments in the film. The waiter service never felt intrusive like some of those theater waiter experiences can be and the food menu was pretty extensive and everything we tried had nice presentative and was freaking delicious!  

Upon leaving we heard others comment what we said, that this was like an old school movie theater experience filled with old theater style, charm and service with a super respectful and excited audience. The whole night was A+ 10/10 (except again the film that was an 8/10 ;) haha!)

Up next, Rocky Horror! 

• Like 4

dangit, too late to edit but that was *presentation not presentative ;) 

and another note...the stairs in the lobby on the right still still lead to the little second floor bar/lounge on the left at the top of the staircase! The 2 tiny theaters upstairs now have the wide aisles and super comfy dine in chairs exactly like downstairs and instead of at an odd angle like before the new remodel, the seats now face straight ahead to the screen which is so much better as well! 

anyway, make sure to go and support this awesome, iconic and historic houston theater! 

• Like 4