Interesting parking minimums

There's an article in the Times a couple of days ago about parking minimum reforms.  The impetus is New York parking, but there's a lot of interesting information about parking reform across the country.  

Here's a gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/10/21/upshot/parking-mandates.html?unlocked_article_code=1.T04.ppfn.d3mMZ3Z-hw-y&smid=url-share

I like this part, some of which I think illustrate the madness that the car fetish has imposed on the world:

• 1 parking spot per 4 rooms - Rooming House in New Orleans
  • 1 parking spot per million gallons of capacity - Sewage Treatment Plant in Dallas
  • 1 parking spot per 100 sq. ft. - Haunted House in Gilbert, Ariz.
  • 1 parking spot per 8 occupants plus 1 spot per 2 employees -  Cemetery in Carver, Mass.
  • 1 parking spot per 10 migrants at max capacity - Migrant Labor Camp in Queen Anne's County, Md.
  • 10 parking spots per 1 mile of trail - Nature/Bike Trail in Jefferson Hills, Pa.
  • 6 parking spots per lane - Bowling Center in Folsom, Calif.
  • 1 parking spot per 50 sq. ft. water surface plus 1 spot per 2 employees - Swimming Pool in Allentown, Pa

“People just assume these numbers are right because they’re in the zoning code,” said Tony Jordan, who runs the Parking Reform Network, which advocates ending minimums. “No, they’re just made up.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, editor said:

There's an article in the Times a couple of days ago about parking minimum reforms.  The impetus is New York parking, but there's a lot of interesting information about parking reform across the country.  

Here's a gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/10/21/upshot/parking-mandates.html?unlocked_article_code=1.T04.ppfn.d3mMZ3Z-hw-y&smid=url-share

I like this part, some of which I think illustrate the madness that the car fetish has imposed on the world:

• 1 parking spot per 4 rooms - Rooming House in New Orleans
  • 1 parking spot per million gallons of capacity - Sewage Treatment Plant in Dallas
  • 1 parking spot per 100 sq. ft. - Haunted House in Gilbert, Ariz.
  • 1 parking spot per 8 occupants plus 1 spot per 2 employees -  Cemetery in Carver, Mass.
  • 1 parking spot per 10 migrants at max capacity - Migrant Labor Camp in Queen Anne's County, Md.
  • 10 parking spots per 1 mile of trail - Nature/Bike Trail in Jefferson Hills, Pa.
  • 6 parking spots per lane - Bowling Center in Folsom, Calif.
  • 1 parking spot per 50 sq. ft. water surface plus 1 spot per 2 employees - Swimming Pool in Allentown, Pa

“People just assume these numbers are right because they’re in the zoning code,” said Tony Jordan, who runs the Parking Reform Network, which advocates ending minimums. “No, they’re just made up.”

.. More broadly demonstrates the madness government bureaucrats impose on the world.

Edited by Houston19514

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

.. More broadly demonstrates the madness government bureaucrats impose on the world.

I'm not sure that it's so much madness as a lack of ability to look ahead to anything beyond the next election.  The people who made these rules could not imagine returning to a world where cars would not be essential.

Another example: My new EV has no emissions, but still has a whole page in the manual dedicated to the California Proposition 65 statement warning me that breathing its non-existent exhaust fumes can be harmful.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Eh they may set it but we sure can run with it. There are no parking minimums in Downtown or much of Midtown, and Downtown is still half parking cathedral while Midtown is mostly parking deserts.