On 9/20/2024 at 8:02 PM, tigereye said:

Why not build a replacement Astro Arena facility inside the Astrodome with the exterior walls surrounding the arena filled with mixed use development and maybe hotel rooms on the upper levels?

There is an example of this that exists. 02 Arena inside Millennium Dome. 

Would take care of a lot of issues with one project.

Save the Dome?

Add mixed use development on site?

Replace Astro Arena?

And this still leaves the Astroworld site to be redeveloped into something like The Battery in Atlanta or Hollywood Park at SoFi Stadium

spacer.png

Building new NRG Arena an option for NRG Park redevelopment - Houston Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/08/23/new-nrg-arena-considered-nrg-park-redevelopment.html

• Like 1

I'll be honest, for all the talk about the great "modernism" of these football stadiums (the football stadiums especially) they never seem to me as to be built with thought of being practically useful, nor aesthetically interesting enough to have any sort of afterlife. The Greek Parthenon was used as a gunpowder magazine by the Turks (it blew up and that's how it lost some of its columns), there is the Pirámide del Sol is Mesoamerica. I suppose we have so much money and technology these huge projects are no longer interesting enough to draw an interest in posterity. It's all boring and ROI now. 

17 minutes ago, EllenOlenska said:

I'll be honest, for all the talk about the great "modernism" of these football stadiums (the football stadiums especially) they never seem to me as to be built with thought of being practically useful, nor aesthetically interesting enough to have any sort of afterlife. The Greek Parthenon was used as a gunpowder magazine by the Turks (it blew up and that's how it lost some of its columns), there is the Pirámide del Sol is Mesoamerica. I suppose we have so much money and technology these huge projects are no longer interesting enough to draw an interest in posterity. It's all boring and ROI now. 

considering our infrastructure is built to be replaced every 30ish years, it doesn't seem to me that anyone these days is as excited about immortality through buildings as the Greeks, Romans, or other ancient cultures.

imagine if we had a water system that lasted as long as the Roman viaducts? lots of people would be out of jobs, and we'd have to find a new way to spend all the tax money, maybe they could use it to build a new stadium?

but then we might have a current stadium that was built as well as the Colosseum in Rome, and we'd not need a new one of those either.

we'd have way too much tax revenue and nowhere to spend it, 15 lane highways for everyone I guess 🤷‍♂️

I think we're all just waiting on @shasta to give some specific examples of amenities, or game day experience that NRG lacks?

Edited by samagon