The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

The Delicious Concepts people that run Witchcraft seem to never ever give up no matter what! Based on the press the put out for their last change a month ago we had no ambition to ever go and it seems like they are not getting the uptick in customers they were hoping for.  Will they "revamp" the place again andfads try 4 different concepts in 3 years? Can't help thinking that being in such a small space next to a pay day lender and mattress store is helping.

Edited by bedmondson

bad mistake if you stopped going bc of the menu change - the revamped menu/format is awesome and the chef is the real deal. they're no longer open for lunch, though. they open at 4pm now.

No I don't think so. We tried it twice and were unhappy with it both times. The waiter, who was new, told us that they were looking for a 'certain type' of clientel since they had a new chef. Im sure he wasnt supposed to tell us that. The food did look nice on the plate. Lol

I guess we will wait for their next change. 

The Delicious Concepts people that run Witchcraft seem to never ever give up no matter what! Based on the press the put out for their last change a month ago we had no ambition to ever go and it seems like they doesn't seem like they are getting the uptick in customers they were hoping for.  Will they "revamp" the place try 4 different concepts in 3 years? Can't help thinking that being in such a small space next to a pay day lender and mattress store can't help.

I dont think its location next to those places mattered. I do think that the inconsistency of their food and drinks does. Its a nice small location. 

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think its location next to those places mattered. I do think that the inconsistency of their food and drinks does. Its a nice small location. 

Recently in the Houston Press :

Interestingly, Ken Bridges of Delicious Concepts announced this morning that Witchcraft Tavern & Provisions Co. will re-emerge as Republic Diner + Sojubang, “the area’s only kitchen and bar offering a Korean menu.” 

I liked the curries at their original place. The Witchcraft Tavern was handy for a high-class burger & craft beer before or after a visit to Kroger; also for the occasional happy hour, with interesting snacks at the bar. 

Never made it to the "new" place.  The revamped bus system has made access less convenient (while making many other places more convenient).  And the "no lunch" policy made it useless on the weekend.

Location might matter for a place with what appeared to be a trendy, pricey, mostly-appetizers menu. Perhaps more suited for those hitting another bar or restaurant nearby, or looking at some interesting shops or galleries. Bundled with a trip to Kroger, Ross or Tuesday Morning, not so much.  Hope the new plan works out. 

Meanwhile, the El Cantina Superior remains shuttered. Their site promises a "Relaunch" but there has been no sign of work.  (I think a Brewpub was mentioned.)  Too bad.  The location is great & they put a lot of work into the place. But, except for the period when the Liberty Kitchen people had their hands in, their Tex-Mex was definitely sub-par......

Edited by MaggieMay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something called "Black Dragon" has a TABC private club notice up at the old Chirps Chicken on W 20th.  I cannot get any further information on the TABC website search engine, but I have always had a hard time getting everything formatted just right to get a response.  So, no clue who is doing this or what it will be other than a place called Black Dragon that serves some alcohol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Funky-Chicken-Bradley-s-Finer-Diner-closed-6745923.php

So far, The El, Piatto, Witchcraft and the two Bradley Ogden ventures are the only closings in the great restaurant boom of the ought 10s.  Java Java was more of a retirement.

I think Ogden seriously underestimated the Houston market and maybe his ability to operate outside his Larkcreek restaurant group.   Houstonians will not blindly flock to a big name chef's restaurant if the food is not up to par.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights/business/article/Chicago-pizza-favorite-Connie-s-coming-to-6775099.php

My wife lamented that we eat too much Pink's pizza the other day.  i told her, patience my dear.  

Now, it is time for the folks living nearby to start telling everyone that there will be fist fights at 2 am and people going poopy in the alleys if this little gelato stand gets to serve a few pizzas. 

I do admire how Gelazzi has managed to open and now expand their business without, as far as I can tell, providing a single off street parking space. I wish other businesses could do the same.

Imagine: a zero-setback commercial building with no off-street parking. It's almost like living in a city.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the urinating in yards really did happen when Gelazzi tried to become a bar.  For the TABC protest, neighbors had to take time out of their lives because the noise, urinating, parties.. was so incredibly awful.   Gelazzi would not negotiate with their neighbors to limit the negative behavior.  And as a result Gelazzi was denied a TABC license.  You can read the TABC docs.  I did just for fun because my neighbors had a copy.  Many people showed up to testify about the poor behavior they witnessed from patrons and the owners.  . 

Let's hope the people at Connie's Pizza are able to exercise enough control to make sure adequate restrooms are provided.  Right now they do not have enough restrooms or parking per City code to operate a restaurant.  I hope they will do the right thing and install restrooms the public can actually access.

Also, Gelazzi/Connie's Pizza is not functioning as a take out place. Pinks is a takeout place; no tables, no eat in.  However, people were eating pizza at Gelazzi, this weekend, both indoors and outdoors.  This reminds me of the crawfish place the City shut down because they had tables.

Remember that?

Unfortunately, the urinating in yards really did happen when Gelazzi tried to become a bar.  For the TABC protest, neighbors had to take time out of their lives because the noise, urinating, parties.. was so incredibly awful.   Gelazzi would not negotiate with their neighbors to limit the negative behavior.  And as a result Gelazzi was denied a TABC license.  You can read the TABC docs.  I did just for fun because my neighbors had a copy.  Many people showed up to testify about the poor behavior they witnessed from patrons and the owners.  . 

Let's hope the people at Connie's Pizza are able to exercise enough control to make sure adequate restrooms are provided.  Right now they do not have enough restrooms or parking per City code to operate a restaurant.  I hope they will do the right thing and install restrooms the public can actually access.

Also, Gelazzi/Connie's Pizza is not functioning as a take out place. Pinks is a takeout place; no tables, no eat in.  However, people were eating pizza at Gelazzi, this weekend, both indoors and outdoors.  This reminds me of the crawfish place the City shut down because they had tables.

Remember that?

Do you even live in the Heights?  I had a slice at Pinks with my kids just this past weekend.  They love sitting at the tables with the stools that spin around.  Gelazzi served ice cream.  They never served a drink.  Neighbors were upset with Coltivare and presumed that Gelazzi was subterfuge for a Washington Ave. bar.  It wasn't.  it was just a hard working couple who opened a little ice cream shop that is loved by the neighborhood that can't serve gelato made with liquor ('cause everyone knows that if you want to get rowdy drunk, you eat a bucket of 5% ABV gelato).  The crawfish place on 11th shut down last year because the crawfish season was over.  They are back open with lots of people gobbling up mudbugs and peeing all over people's porches all weekend.  They had tables too.  Better call the city and shut them down.  Maybe they can share the pad Funky Chicken left vacant with Connie's pizza so our neighborhood can stop being so damn walkable and full of great places to eat.

• Like 2

Heights' El Cantina Site Won't be a Brewpub After All

920x1240.jpg

Plans for the shuttered El Cantina Superior site near the White Oak dining and entertainment area have changed again. Rather than a brewpub that makes beer on site, the Heights space now is slated to open in mid-March as a casual restaurant called Ritual with an in-house butchershop and an "extensive" craft-beer lineup.

• Like 2

Remember that?

Time to block this fool. Life is too short.

There is some sort of presumably Asian (judging from condiments on the table and art work on the walls) counter service restaurant that looks pretty close to being ready to open at 502 E. 20th next to Prestigious nails.  I know nothing about it other than what I saw peaking through the window the other day.

Do you even live in the Heights?  I had a slice at Pinks with my kids just this past weekend.  They love sitting at the tables with the stools that spin around.  Gelazzi served ice cream.  They never served a drink.  Neighbors were upset with Coltivare and presumed that Gelazzi was subterfuge for a Washington Ave. bar.  It wasn't.  it was just a hard working couple who opened a little ice cream shop that is loved by the neighborhood that can't serve gelato made with liquor ('cause everyone knows that if you want to get rowdy drunk, you eat a bucket of 5% ABV gelato).  The crawfish place on 11th shut down last year because the crawfish season was over.  They are back open with lots of people gobbling up mudbugs and peeing all over people's porches all weekend.  They had tables too.  Better call the city and shut them down.  Maybe they can share the pad Funky Chicken left vacant with Connie's pizza so our neighborhood can stop being so damn walkable and full of great places to eat.

Thanks for the reality check.  

I was wondering--which Gelazzi are they talking about?  I thought they just served frozen treats.  (Delicious frozen treats.)  

So, I was not hallucinating....

Remember that?

WTH! This post is comical ^^^^. All I see at Gelazzi are families or couples w/kids, etc. Those good folks had an X on their backs before they even opened. Sad to see how some folks can try to ruin other people’s hard work by spreading rumors and lies. 

White Oak isn’t my cup of tea on the weekends but during the week we like to grab a gelato. 

P.S. I met the owners when they opened. Very nice folks.

• Like 1