Air conditioning may be making us fat

Most overweight city, most air conditioned city...I wonder.

Sleep loss, air conditioning may be making us fat By Amy Norton

1 hour, 27 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - "Super-sized" fast food meals and TV time shouldn't take all the blame for the U.S. obesity problem, according to a research review published Tuesday.

In fact, a group of researchers contend, a number of aspects of modern living -- from lack of sleep to exposure to environmental chemicals to living with air conditioning -- may be feeding Americans' weight woes.

Another factor potentially weighing Americans down is air conditioning. The body burns calories when forced to regulate its own temperature and, Allison noted, people tend to eat less in hot, humid weather.

Link to article

Most overweight city, most air conditioned city...I wonder.

Granted, the article came from Reuters and has been dumbed down to suit the intellectual capabilities of all but the most dull of our population, but I didn't see any evidence of differentiation between correlation and causality...especially where sleep deprivation is concerned.

I pull frequent all-nighters and most-of-the-nighters and can attest that their assertion that people eat more when they stay awake more is indeed correct. However, in the process of staying up all night, I'm burning calories. Perhaps the calorie intake is justified along with the extra calorie expenditure associated with being awake and active.

As far as air conditioning is concerned, the trend seems to make sense in a causal way, but I have to wonder just how what the marginal effect is. How many pounds of extra fat does a person gain by having the temperature set at 75 degrees instead of 80 degrees? I have a hunch that most people would knowingly make the choice to carry an extra five pounds rather than turn up the thermostat five degrees.

I actually think overeating and poor diet are the real culprits.

i tend to agree -

from the article:

"That's not to say that diet and exercise aren't important, said report co-author Dr. David B. Allison of the University of Alabama at Birmingham

However, he told Reuters Health, the evidence linking obesity to food industry marketing and lack of gym class is circumstantial"

well, yeah, everything is circumstantial - from choices about food and exercise, to physiological problems with gaining weight. ANYthing can be attributed to ANYthing else as matter of circumstance :rolleyes:

I eat just about anything that slows down. It has nothing to do with A/C, but more to do with traveling to oddball places :):):) Eating lots of stuff and traveling on airplanes, combined with lots of sleeping, can be a key to getting fat :)

Sound like a biography to anyone? ;)