What are the big differences between Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston?

anywho, are they adding more colleges to the area?

UNT anticipates the Oak Cliff Campus will grow to an enrollment over 20,000 within 10 years. The campus will have a DART train station and the general campus design seems led by "New Urbanist" mixed-use sensibilities.

UNT is also planning to open a law school in the Dallas central business district, but I'm not sure if all these ducks are in a row.

I've read that the prime time soap opera was set Houston at first-- but relocated to Dallas because the Cowboys won the superbowl and got all popular and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this board and have lived in both Dallas and Houston. I lived in dallas much longer but love both places. To me it seems that Houstonians are hostile towards Dallas..I've seen it much more here than in Dallas. I don't get it and I guess I never will. :(

Whichever, it seems that a lot of the new "Dallas" posters need to develop a bit more thin skin, and they especially need to chill with the ridiculous "gee, people from Dallas don't seem to say negative things about Houston."

It's silly and wrong. Stop it.

I just got on here to say a name of a University I attend in Dallas that people were leaving off the list. I am not complaing about Houston one bit, all I said is I agreed with that one comment (guess what I am allowed to). So get off my back.

• 3 weeks later...

My point was that this "there out to get us" language is rediculous. This same topic appeared on the DFW Forum. It was an actual discussion about city differences as oppose to the constant "what we have over them" argument that one reads here. I have a thick skin but some should elevate their thinking. Here's how this topic was addressed on the dfw forum:

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=5892

My point was that this "there out to get us" language is rediculous. This same topic appeared on the DFW Forum. It was an actual discussion about city differences as oppose to the constant "what we have over them" argument that one reads here. I have a thick skin but some should elevate their thinking. Here's how this topic was addressed on the dfw forum:

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=5892

In terms of maturity level displayed, there is definetly a gap between the two forums!

Not really, I just think this forum has a more humor side to it. Dallas Metropolis feels more proefessional, while this one is more light-hearted, but can be serious.

Edited by Trae

I'm new to this board and have lived in both Dallas and Houston. I lived in dallas much longer but love both places. To me it seems that Houstonians are hostile towards Dallas..I've seen it much more here than in Dallas. I don't get it and I guess I never will. :(

:huh:

Thanks for asking. There is a propensity for Houstonians to be more down-to-earth, with the exception of the NASA thing (no pun intended). On the other hand, Dallasites tend to be more concerned about sustaining that upper-class status thingy, throwing around words like "cosmopolitan" and "fashion" and "New York". In contrast, Houston is an industrial city with grit, warts and all, and is essentially confortable with that. While Dallas constantly strives to create an air of sophistication, by proclaiming itself as such, and doing funny things like pretending it's bigger via imaginary annexations of surrounding cities. Heck, it even pretends to have a Port, which is also funny because the ocean is, oh I dont know, 240 miles away? I think they do that because it sounds cool to say they are a "port city", 'cause then they can start using more words, like "port authority", which is a word that sounds New Yorkish, which again, sounds cool....and Dallas wants to be cool. (Anyways). So it comes quite naturally then, that the more down-to-earth no-bullshit culture would have a hard time stomaching anything that slightly reeks of pompousness and percieved sophistication, which then manifests as the hostility that you alluded to in your post. It's been going on for dacades.

[sound of gallups as 2112 rides away on his camel]

Edited by 2112

:huh:

Thanks for asking. There is a propensity for Houstonians to be more down-to-earth, with the exception of the NASA thing (no pun intended). On the other hand, Dallasites tend to be more concerned about sustaining that upper-class status thingy, throwing around words like "cosmopolitan" and "fashion" and "New York". In contrast, Houston is an industrial city with grit, warts and all, and is essentially confortable with that. While Dallas constantly strives to create an air of sophistication, by proclaiming itself as such, and doing funny things like pretending it's bigger via imaginary annexations of surrounding cities. Heck, it even pretends to have a Port, which is also funny because the ocean is, oh I dont know, 240 miles away? I think they do that because it sounds cool to say they are a "port city", 'cause then they can start using more words, like "port authority", which is a word that sounds New Yorkish, which again, sounds cool....and Dallas wants to be cool. (Anyways). So it comes quite naturally then, that the more down-to-earth no-bullshit culture would have a hard time stomaching anything that slightly reeks of pompousness and percieved sophistication, which then manifests as the hostility that you alluded to in your post. It's been going on for dacades.

[sound of gallups as 2112 rides away on his camel]

As I proud Houstonian, I don't know if I agree with this completely. Many times Houstonians try to look down on Dallas' attempt at sophistication and it's strives to be cosmopolitan and fashionable and cool. I personally think that is a wonderful thing if no other reason than it keeps the city progressing and trying to improve itself. So what if they are not, at least they make attempts and in many ways it has payed off. Just as Houston is comfortable in it's grit and warts and industry, I'm sure Dallas is comfortable in who they are as well. IMO, Houston is a bit TOO comfortable with itself, to the point of where it has become a fault. A poster at another site said recently that , " Houstonians don't even realize what's wrong with their city". For the most part I think that is true I believe it all stems from being too comfortable with ourselves. That attitude has created mentalities that believe mass transit is "trying to be like someone else and something we are not". Or it causes us to believe the junky appearance of 1-45 North is a good thing because "it shows free-interprise".

And 2112, does Houston really have much room to talk about Dallas' "pretending it's bigger via imaginary annexations" when we claim 4th largest city in the United States?

I do admit it has been my experience that those in Dallas seem to be a bit more snobbish or stuck-up and reserved, than what I personally like, but at least they are consistent with it. ;)

A poster at another site said recently that , " Houstonians don't even realize what's wrong with their city".
For the most part, that is not true. Our problem is getting rail and cleaning up that piece of ____ IH-45 North. Once we accomplish that, everything should be good.
I do admit it has been my experience that those in Dallas seem to be a bit more snobbish or stuck-up and reserved, than what I personally like, but at least they are consistent with it.

Who doesn't agree to this ;).