Trends now...Gone tomorrow!

emirate25

Ok, so if anybody that has ever watched "I love the 80's" on VH1, you know at the direction that I am going to. I see so many trends now that may seem "cool" for today's age but 15-20 years from now we are going to be like...WHAT IN THE F### WERE WE THINKING?

Ok so I will give a list of things that people started with trends in this new millenium 2000-present

Myspace - why is this site so addictive? There were so many of them out there even before myspace

Lance Armstrong Cancer Yellow wristbands - (are ugly looking n eventually brought too many posers)

faux hawk haircut - aka David Beckham's styling haircut

mouth "grills" - Can you say PAUL WALL!!!

Current cell phones like RAZR - Sure they look cool now, but just imagine what the future has for us.

T-shirts with messages - Ex. abercrombie, a&e shirts with messages about states, restaurants etc..

Spinning wheels/rims

IPOD - again, imagine how the future's technology will change this

Ok guys, please continue the list...

Edited by emirate25

Starbucks Coffee - I think our obsession with coffee will eventually cycle off, like the bagel craze of the Mid-90's, all we need is coffee causes such and such disease and it is over.

$50 Highspeed Cable - I expect it to become like dial-up pricing ($10-$15).

Lower Back tattoos - Unless they are tired already.

American Idol - Just like Star Search, it will eventually die.

Gas - I don't want to know how expensive it will be, but supposedly, we thought that same thing in the late 70's and it came down again, hopefully that will hold true again.

Edited by Pumapayam

Smoking in a lounge/club - I think eventually it will be banned everywhere like in L.A

Nike Shox shoes - the tennis shoes with springs at the bottom

Reality Shows - I think their welcomed is overdue

Fax machines - does anybody still use this?

Cd's, dvd's

Edited by emirate25

Faxes are dead.

Not quite. Businesses operations that require the frequent signing of contracts and supportive documents use faxes all the time. Think about real estate agents, purchasing managers, B2B salespeople, etc.

Scanners, for some reason, still just aren't as commonplace.

EDTV.

Looks like I own a piece of history then. Too bad its not even a "trend" though, considering 99% of America has no clue what it is. Many would probably think it was a channel or show devoted to just Erectile Disfuction! Texas, I'm glad to see that you're not bitter though. ;)

Coffee won't die. Its too social of a product.

I keep praying Rap music will die. With the music would go the Hip-Hop Culture, taking such things to the grave as:

1. Spinning rims that are too large to allow a decent performing tire to fit in the wheel-well.

2. Excessive diamond encrusted platinum jewelry.

3. Mouth grills.

4. Stupid fake "gangsta" accents that are achieved by dropping consonant syllables on the end of words.

5. The "N" word & perpetual racism.

6. Extreme violence portrayed as a nessessary way of life in a society where it is not.

7. Horrible product placement & endorsements that encourage listeners to purchase unwisely.

8. Clothes that just don't fit - literally.

Edited by Jeebus

I think studio audience situational comedies, aka the "sit-com", will eventually die. They're just not funny anymore.

Writing a Check is almost dead.

Carrying a seperate cellular phone and digital music player will become extinct. Possibly even carrying a seperate point and shoot camera will die as Japanese cellphone makers are producing 5mp camera phones with 4gb mp3 players built in.

Wired communications networks will continue to shrink.

Purses with the name band pattern on the side, like the LV, Coach, Gucci, etc.

Dyed Hair people getting new colors ever other day

Hot Topic - I hate that store

Internet Dating Matchmaker.com, etc.

Cell Phone Text Advertisement you know, "text 'Oh Yeah!' to 29372 to recieve your new jamster ring tone! I saw these in Germany & Europe as early as 99'.

Big Sunglasses I love them, but one day they'll be out :(

MTV Shows like the Real World, Laguna Beach, etc.

websites like ebaumsworld, maddoxmission, (as mentioned above) myspace, live journal

can't think of any others for the moment.

All of the above ^^^^

Oversized SUVS: Especially those hip hop style H2s, H3s, Escalades, etc. As someone said above, I hope they all die a painful death when the confounded hip hop craze finally dies out.

The EMO craze must die as well; die a painful death through self mutilation.

crappy clothing, like stated above. Not everyone wants to wear a shirt with a provocative message.

and more crap that I don't want to list right now

All of the above ^^^^

Oversized SUVS: Especially those hip hop style H2s, H3s, Escalades, etc. As someone said above, I hope they all die a painful death when the confounded hip hop craze finally dies out.

The EMO craze must die as well; die a painful death through self mutilation.

crappy clothing, like stated above. Not everyone wants to wear a shirt with a provocative message.

and more crap that I don't want to list right now

What is EMO?

You mean tramp-stamps?

:lol: MidtownCoog, you crack me up. I loved it in Wedding Crashers with Vince Vaughan referred to a woman with a "tramp stamp" with "Might as well be a bullseye"

Not quite. Businesses operations that require the frequent signing of contracts and supportive documents use faxes all the time. Think about real estate agents, purchasing managers, B2B salespeople, etc.

Scanners, for some reason, still just aren't as commonplace.

I very rarely use the fax. My firm (Real Estate Driven) uses PDF's and sends documents via email. The fax machine is still busy at my office though. I can see it being used less and less in the future.

Probably those little screens on phones that are used for video. I find it really awkward to look at those when I am trying to get the picture I want in frame. Take out the little color screens and replace them with guns.

The really baggy pants

With the crotch just above the ankles? Oh please God I hope so.

One of these days the temptation is going to be too much to resist, and I'm going to walk up behind someone wearing those ridiculous pants and give them a good tug and see how long it takes him to get unhobbled. It might be advisable to choose someone who's smaller than me and unarmed, however.

To me, it looks like the ideal garment for someone who's incontinent and doesn't mind letting things pile up a bit, if you get my drift.

Jeebus:

I think studio audience situational comedies, aka the "sit-com", will eventually die. They're just not funny anymore.

Those are already dead. To me at least. I prefer the classic sitcoms of the '50s - '80s.

TV sucks. Other than "Lost" I don't watch the major networks anymore, period.

Side note: I read that last week was the lowest rated week in TV history! Whoa nelly!

How about Hollister? I'm not kidding, I recently had a nightmare that I went somewhere and everyone had a shirt that had "Hollister" across the front. I hate any clothing that has the brand name (especially if it's supposed to be a trendy brand) plastered across the front. It's much cooler and classier if the brand name is more subtle, like on a tag near the bottom of the shirt or embroidered somewere. I just think they're cheesy.

Those are already dead. To me at least. I prefer the classic sitcoms of the '50s - '80s.

TV sucks. Other than "Lost" I don't watch the major networks anymore, period.

Side note: I read that last week was the lowest rated week in TV history! Whoa nelly!

How about Hollister? I'm not kidding, I recently had a nightmare that I went somewhere and everyone had a shirt that had "Hollister" across the front. I hate any clothing that has the brand name (especially if it's supposed to be a trendy brand) plastered across the front. It's much cooler and classier if the brand name is more subtle, like on a tag near the bottom of the shirt or embroidered somewere. I just think they're cheesy.

i agree about the sitcom - i'll take 50-80's era any day over current...

and about brand-name clothing - it always struck me as odd that someone would pay (a lot, sometimes) to advertise for some big company.

it has to be the most successful (and idiotic) advertising campaign ever :wacko:

Edited by sevfiv

Didn't help much.

Basically an Emo style is like those coffee house freaks/employees; a lighter side of the Gothic look, but they are usually just as annoying and sarcastic. A great example, are a bunch of the characters from the movie Napolean Dynamite, or the best friend from of Sarah Jessica Parker in the movie "Failure to Launch"

A great example, are a bunch of the characters from the movie Napolean Dynamite.
No, no - bad example. The kids from Napoleon Dynamite are weirdos from Idaho that are stuck 15 years behind the nation in trends. Nothing mainstream there.

A perfect example are bands like Fallout Boy, AFI, & Good Charlotte. Take Green Day, give them feelings (or more appropriately: emotions) and you have modern "Emo" - not to be confused with Emu's.

Edited by Jeebus