Plus Sizes Inflight

Guest Plastic

Here is my $0.02...

I'm 6'1" (around 6'2" with tennis shoes on). I weigh about 170-175lbs. Technically speaking I am over weight according to my Physician's height/weight chart for myself. Only about 5-10 lbs or so. So I can be thrown into the "over weight" category, which is b/s to me because honestly, I don't think I look overweight.

Anywho... I usually don't fly economy, infact the only time I have was around 99' or 2000. It was Continental, and we were flying direct to London (Gatwick, took a bus to Heathrow... -never again.) from IAH. I've seen other airliner's economy seating, and they all sucked compared to continental. At the time, there were screens on the back of the chairs for each person in Economy. Which was new to me, because I had always seen just the one tv every other row for economy. (sorry, rambling along).

Maybe I was lucky, but there were not too many people on the flight. And with my usual charm, My friends and I were told my the flight attendent that there was room in the back. So we all ended up having 3 chairs to lay down on. Stroke of luck, perhaps... But I agree, Economy is packed tight. But hey, you get what you pay for.

I don't like Brittish Airways' current Business Class seating. How some face backwards... They are tiny even for my standards. And I suppose they're new-ish. But I can't fit laying down, when the seat is laying flat. Even with the foot rest, I cannot lay comfortably. Its too narrow, and tightly crammed. I usually don't get claustrophobic but I do if I fly Business Class BA.

I guess being slightly tall doesn't go well with air travel. People in general are getting bigger... Not fat bigger, but bigger ... bigger. And airlines are trying to save money by cramming people into tighter spaces.

I agree if one is obese they should have to pay for more then one seat, if they so happen to be and/or make anyone else uncomfortable. Its bad enough being shoulder to shoulder in economy, maybe its just me but I get uncomfortable being so close to strangers... expecially when they have the breathe of a cat and feel the need to talk to you. Or sneeze without covering their mouth. Or snore so loud people in other sections of the plane can hear. Or lay on your shoulder to sleep. Or listen to extremely loud music. Or read the newspaper completely unfolded. Or are so big they touch you even if you lean to other side of your seat. Or have terrible todlars that run and scream and kick and bite. Or decide not to wear deoderant and/or havn't bathed in days.

And yes, I experienced first hand all of this on that one flight.

Big people should have to pay for two tickets. Much like a mother would have to pay for a ticket for a child that is not a baby, and too old to sit on the mother's lap.

Here is my $0.02...

I'm 6'1" (around 6'2" with tennis shoes on). I weigh about 170-175lbs. Technically speaking I am over weight according to my Physician's height/weight chart for myself. Only about 5-10 lbs or so. So I can be thrown into the "over weight" category, which is b/s to me because honestly, I don't think I look overweight.

Ummm.............. NO , YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERED TO BE PART OF THE "FAT" CROWD ! Quit trying to be like the rest of us morbidly obese cool kids, now go and sit over there with the rest of the band and drama geeks. :angry::P:lol:

Edited by TJones

Large people have to pay more for their clothing, requires more fabric. I'm a massage therapist and I charge more for taller, more muscular people because they take longer and are more work. Airlines are charging for the space and the poundage. Bigger, heavier people take up more of both. They should be charged for it.

You tall guys with the broad shoulders -- you've have so many advantages for so long (able to reach way high, covering larger distances, intimidating us short folks) -- you can just suffer on a plane. :D

You know, those seats don't fit short people very well, either. The neck support hits me directly in the center of my head, forcing my head forward. Not much I can do about it, tho. Just go with the flow.

Hey, maybe we will get lucky and one of the fatties on Moonman's next flight will sit on him and let all the hot air out of him. ;);)

Thanks for letting the cat outta the bag. Now we will end up with a bunch of newbies up front talking loud and consuming every free bottle of booze they can get thier hands on disturbing me while im either trying to work or sleep. ;););)

Sorry! And I do know the passengers you describe. My very first flight in first class, IAH-SFO in December 1999 (was using a free upgrade certificate), I was thrilled that I was flying up front. However, I tried not to let my newness show. On the other hand, a family of four was sitting in the row behind me, and they had not only never flown first class before, but I'm not sure they'd ever flown before period. The guy found out the alcohol was complimentary and yells out "Well, hell then, go ahead and bring me a GD six pack for Christ's sake!" at the flight attendant. It was like a bad episode of A&E's Airline. The flight attendant brought him a single beer for his pre-departure drink and reminded him he had to finish it before we took off. He downed the entire can in about two minutes and then asked for another. And this was at 9:00 AM.

That's SOP for me when leaving Gatwick.

Is this behaviour not PC?

If you are doing that leaving Gatwick, then its acceptable. Having a drink or 2 in the morning there will help you get over the sticker shock on just about everything you purchase. The Queen and her damned taxes :angry:

Makes everything nearly double the price you would pay at home, so drink up ;)

Guest Plastic

WELL IS THERE SOME SORT OF SOLOUTION LIKE A FEW SEATS IN ECONOMY THAT ARE DESIGNED FOR PLUS SIZED PEOPLE? oR A SPECIALS SEAT THAT ALLOWS THE ARMREST TO COME OUT AND YOU CAN MAKE 1 SEAT OUT OF 2.

OR MAYEB RESERVE THE FIRST ROW OF COACH FOR TALL PEOPLE SINCE THERE'S NO SEATS INFRONT TO TAKEUP LEG ROOM.

It must be hell transporting a basketball or footbal team, you'd have to use 1st class.

WELL IS THERE SOME SORT OF SOLOUTION LIKE A FEW SEATS IN ECONOMY THAT ARE DESIGNED FOR PLUS SIZED PEOPLE? oR A SPECIALS SEAT THAT ALLOWS THE ARMREST TO COME OUT AND YOU CAN MAKE 1 SEAT OUT OF 2.

OR MAYEB RESERVE THE FIRST ROW OF COACH FOR TALL PEOPLE SINCE THERE'S NO SEATS INFRONT TO TAKEUP LEG ROOM.

It must be hell transporting a basketball or footbal team, you'd have to use 1st class.

The armrest between the seats already folds upwards to allow more space. As for the other 2 ideas you listed, they are not so likely to happen because i dont really see the airlines making a return on thier investment in installing those type seats for a select few people. I think UAL has something similar to that with the xtra room in coach seats, but they are if i am not mistaken, reserved for thier most frequent travelers and for those that would pay the extra cost to sit there--a business traveler.

ALright so if the armrest lets up will the stuartest let you sit in a sit where nobody is sitting after the flight takes off?

As far as i know, yes. As long as it doesnt "cross" classes of service and as long as it is not one of thier "crew rest seats" that they have on international flights.

As long as it's not changing classes, or disruptive to other passengers, changing seats usually isn't a big issue. However, many flights these days are extremely full, so I wouldn't count on being able to get up and move.