Mayor's daughter arrested for DWI

musicman

Houston mayor's teen daughter arrested for alleged DWI

Mayor Bill White's 17-year-old daughter was arrested early this morning for allegedly driving while intoxicated.

Elena Wells White remained in custody, shortly after 7:30 a.m.. The mayor's office released this statement about the arrest:

"Our daughter Elena is a fine young person who we love and who made a bad decision, violating household rules and possibly the law," according to Mayor Bill White. "It is good that she was treated with impartiality and we are glad she is safe.''

She was driving within a mile of her family's house when detained by a Harris County Deputy Constable.

Article from Chron

"Our daughter Elena is a fine young person who we love and who made a bad decision, violating household rules and possibly the law," according to Mayor Bill White. "It is good that she was treated with impartiality and we are glad she is safe.''

Sounds like bad parenting to me.

You'd think they'd have that discussion. He is obviously too busy to be her father.

Houston mayor's teen daughter arrested for alleged DWI

Mayor Bill White's 17-year-old daughter was arrested early this morning for allegedly driving while intoxicated.

Elena Wells White remained in custody, shortly after 7:30 a.m.. The mayor's office released this statement about the arrest:

She was driving within a mile of her family's house when detained by a Harris County Deputy Constable.

Article from Chron

"Everybody in the club gettin' tipsy!"

Nah, seriously Pumba, she isn't the only 17 year old in H-Town to get her sip on. It's obvious that she doing da sneaky sneaky and was trying not to get caught. But she did, and her parents found her responsible for her actions. He's not a bad parent because she got caught, but he would have been a bad parent if he didn't try to do anything about it as a parent. Also obviously, he's doing just that by adressing it. She'll probably be grounded from City Hall, then in a week, we won't be talking about it anymore. :)

Back when I was in high school, I remember...no...I plead da fifth. B)

Sounds like bad parenting to me.

Good thing no one asked you & you don't work for any media outlet. I'm appalled that this made the news. What does it matter what the family members of politicians do? As long as the policitians themselves are legit, then it has no bearing what the actions of family members are.

This is non-news.

This is non-news.

She is a moron, if I could have a normal childhood with good values, than she should too. She made a shitty decision and she obviously did not care whom she hurt or what the repercussions were.

She has no respect for her father and the position he is in, and ultimately is the parents fault for not teaching her to maintain good values.

Edited by Pumapayam

She is a moron, if I could have a normal childhood with good values, than she should too. She made a shitty decision and she obviously did not care whom she hurt or what the repercussions were.

She has no respect for her father and the position he is in, and ultimately is the parents fault for not teaching her to maintain good values.

You seem to be a little too close to this topic, did you lose someone close to a drunk driver ? Where is your topic about Mel Gibson ? Drunk AND a Racist, I can only imagine what you must think about his parents ?

Edited by TJones

She is a moron, if I could have a normal childhood with good values, than she should too.

Who said you had a normal childhood? And since when is picking on a 17 year old who made a mistake representative of good values? And, while we're talking about bad parenting when your child is arrested for DWI, do you have an opinion on George and Barbara Bush's parenting skills?

At the end of the day, no matter how good the parenting, each of us has to be prepared for our children to make a bad decision, to use poor judgement and, brace yourself, to be human. No one here has any intimiate knowledge of what Mayor White's parenting skills are or how much time he puts into it. We do know that, based on the article, it appears that his daughter, regardless of his parenting, made a bad decision, one that many teens with solid parenting make.

It's one thing if there is evidence to show a string of this type of irresponsibility or disregard but we simply don't know, and I think it's unfair to judge anyone (parent, whoever) based on one episode that's made public simply because they're a public figure.

My college days are proof that there are a lot of good kids from good homes who take silly risks all in the pursuit of "letting their hair down" on a weekend or so. That responsibility ultimately lies with them. You hope that they learn from it and take better care. I'm sure the Whites hope the same for their daughter.

I can honestly say I had 2 of the best parents of all time. I never needed for anything, but I wasn't spoiled either. They taught me right from wrong, but when you think you are old enough to make your own decisions, parenting skills are thrown by the wayside by MOST teens, and bad choices that will cause you to learn and grow more as a person are made. Then dealt with as to what consequences shall be taken in order to prevent it from happening again. Unfortunately, there are some teens with just no hope, and others who learn form bad decisions and will know better, next time.

So who's fault is it, her's or her parent's? In your first post you pointed the finger at daddy dearest as being a deadbeat dad, spending too much time running the fourth largest city in the nation. In this post you blame everyone.

You insinuate that she wasn't raised with good values as you were, but flip to say she made a bad decision, as if she does have some sort of value system in place and simply made a mistake.

I don't know the girl, but I think its petty some stranger would try to judge her value system & the parenting ability, all based on a newspaper article. Maybe you should check your "good values".

Ps. I don't know the Whites anymore than the next middle class Houstonian does. I'm just tired of the media jumping on stories like this because they can't find any real news to report.

Being a good parent, with fantastic skills and good values, does not insure your teenager's brain will function maturely and within the moral code at all times.

In fact, I would dare to say that every poster on this board did something MORONIC in their teenage years and probably didn't get busted for it.

Being a good parent, with fantastic skills and good values, does not insure your teenager's brain will function maturely and within the moral code at all times.

In fact, I would dare to say that every poster on this board did something MORONIC in their teenage years and probably didn't get busted for it.

You mean like the time in college my best friend and I jumped off a bridge in Mississippi into a raging river in the middle of winter after a horrendous storm that caused the river to be 15 feet above it's norm, while broken trees and who knows what, are rushing by in water so murky it looks like a giant Cafe' Latte roaring by at about 5 to 10 mph, and you jump in and try to swim to the side while your best friend who jumped in with you almost drowns because he got hit in the head by a log as soon as he hit the water, and then you almost die of hypothermia because it is about 43* outside, and all you have on is a pair of shorts, and you just used every muscle in your body to make it to the side before you get pushed into the train tresles about 1000 feet down river ? Stuff like that ? I am pretty sure my parents told me at some point, NOT TO DO THAT ! It wasn't from a lack of parenting, just a poor choice, that seemed like a fantastic idea at the time, and there was no alcohol involved. :wacko:

Who said you had a normal childhood? And since when is picking on a 17 year old who made a mistake representative of good values? And, while we're talking about bad parenting when your child is arrested for DWI, do you have an opinion on George and Barbara Bush's parenting skills?

....or George and Laura or Jeb and (insert Jeb's wife's name here)? Not to excuse White's daughter but maybe being the child of a famous person has it's added pressures?

....or George and Laura or Jeb and (insert Jeb's wife's name here)? Not to excuse White's daughter but maybe being the child of a famous person has it's added pressures?

Dunno, but they certainly get watched and caught more because of it.

I felt sorry for the Bush twins. What well adjusted, red-blooded American teen waits until they were 21 to get drunk off their butts on a 6th Street? If I had been the president's daughter, my face would be on the tabloid cover every Thursday through Sunday night in college.....cept in my Senior year, because then I was 21 and it was all boring. ;)

Mayor Bill White has hired defense attorney Rusty Hardin for his daughter, Elena Wells White, 17, who was charged with driving while intoxicated in a traffic stop Monday night.

White said "My daughter believes that she was not intoxicated and was not dangerous and wouldn't be impaired in her condition to drive," White said, calling her a "good kid" who has "always shot straight with me."

He added, "I personally, based on what I've heard today, think that it (the arrest) may have been a mistake."

Officials said the vehicle driven by Elena White was weaving in traffic without headlights about 11 p.m. when Precinct 5 deputy constable Nicholas Derkowski pulled her over in the 5800 block of Memorial Drive.

After smelling alcohol coming from White's car, Derkowski said he asked that an officer trained in field sobriety testing be sent to the scene, officials said.

Hardin, a high-profile Houston attorney representing Elena White, said he is confident the teen will be absolved.

Chron article

I guess only being 17 isn't an issue for Mayor White.

Edited by musicman

You mean like the time in college my best friend and I jumped off a bridge in Mississippi into a raging river in the middle of winter after a horrendous storm that caused the river to be 15 feet above it's norm, while broken trees and who knows what, are rushing by in water so murky it looks like a giant Cafe' Latte roaring by at about 5 to 10 mph, and you jump in and try to swim to the side while your best friend who jumped in with you almost drowns because he got hit in the head by a log as soon as he hit the water, and then you almost die of hypothermia because it is about 43* outside, and all you have on is a pair of shorts, and you just used every muscle in your body to make it to the side before you get pushed into the train tresles about 1000 feet down river ? Stuff like that ? I am pretty sure my parents told me at some point, NOT TO DO THAT ! It wasn't from a lack of parenting, just a poor choice, that seemed like a fantastic idea at the time, and there was no alcohol involved. :wacko:

LMAO. You know after all the "guy stories" I have heard, I am surprised that the precentage of males that make it alive into adulthood is so high.

Ah, I remember back when I was perfect. I was a fetus in my mama's womb. That all changed when I started kicking though. My mom grounded me right after the C-section....

Oye, this is Houston: The city where everyone goes to 21 and up clubs...until they turn 21. The place where your neighbors smoke will ask their kids to buy their cigarettes. The city where you drive to the bar instead of walk (which would be much safer). Most of all, it's the city where the kids got adult minds. She got caught. Let da mayor do his thing, and lets get our sip on at Kelvin Arms :)

Dunno, but they certainly get watched and caught more because of it.

I felt sorry for the Bush twins. What well adjusted, red-blooded American teen waits until they were 21 to get drunk off their butts on a 6th Street? If I had been the president's daughter, my face would be on the tabloid cover every Thursday through Sunday night in college.....cept in my Senior year, because then I was 21 and it was all boring. ;)

What? And miss Hump Day at the Holiday?

Those were some good times.

Seriously though, if you are over the age of 30 and grew up in Houston, chances are you have driven smashed off of your backside more often than not. Not something I am proud of, but just a fact of living in a sprawling city.

What? And miss Hump Day at the Holiday?

Those were some good times.

Seriously though, if you are over the age of 30 and grew up in Houston, chances are you have driven smashed off of your backside more often than not. Not something I am proud of, but just a fact of living in a sprawling city.

^ THAT"S MY GIRL RIGHT THERE ! ^ :lol:

What concerns me is that she is 17 yrs. old.

Sure I had drinks before I was 18 (legal drinking age at the time) but I was at home or at someone's home that I would be staying the night.

I have not heard anything regarding the issue of her underage drinking. Or is it not an issue?

Sure I had drinks before I was 18 (legal drinking age at the time) but I was at home or at someone's home that I would be staying the night.

I have not heard anything regarding the issue of her underage drinking. Or is it not an issue?

Well, I'm sure the question of where she was drinking at (a friends' house or at a bar) will be a question too. But it's not a big issue. She's not Floyd Landis. It's not like the country's depending on her to remain clean. It's a Bill White-and-his-daughter issue, not a Mayor White-and-the-City-of-Houston issue.

concur the underage aspect has not been mentioned cause she is "not a party animal" to quote the mayor. the Mayor says that after talking with her that her arrest was a mistake. The arresting officer said she failed the sobriety test.

What i found interesting is that they took her to Mykawa (the safer jail) instead of Downtown which is was closer.