Soda v. Pop

editor

What the heck do the wierdos in the green zones call it?

I noticed that a lot of the green areas are in North Carolina, where Pepsi was invented.

I think NCarolinians have some kind of wierd pride about Pepsi, so they probably call soft drinks "Pepsi's" instead of "Cokes".

I always called them Cokes growing up, but I'm coming around to my grandpa's "soda waters". He always calls them "soda waters", whether he's talking about a single can or multiple cans..."Go get yourself a soda waters."

He's from San Antonio.

Living in Ohio for a few years, I wanted to belt people everyday for saying "pop". Something about that word would grate on my nerves. I would get so ANGRY!!!!! :angry2:

fp_main_02.jpg

What the heck do the wierdos in the green zones call it?

According to the website, "other" responses most common in Texas were:

soft drink (143)

soda water (83)

soda pop (50)

cold drink (37)

drink (18)

liquid crack (16)

cola (9)

Dr. Pepper (8) <--punctuated

Dr Pepper (8) <--unpunctuated

Pepsi (4)

fizzy (4)

Brand Name (3)

COCOLA (3)

sodie (3)

sody water (3)

sodie water (3)

fizzy drink (3)

Speemhammer lockjaw (3)

Of those with fewer than three responses, the funniest are as follows:

"polly pop"

"Something to drink"

"roger is gay"

"col' drink (as in movie Cool Hand Luke)"

"Diet Pepsi to enlighten people or, when I'm less dogmatic, carbonated beverage a'la David Letterman"

"sometimes i calls it stankjuice other times i call it bootywater other times i calls it juicey-juice sometimes "juice bruce"

"this is the most gay controversy ever...and bts i just ask for whatever drink i want"

"You should ask what people call retards that waste time on senseless surveys. Give me a free carbonated soft drink!!!!!!"

"Your Mom!!"

"Mike Keenan has herpes"

"I RAPE WOMEN ROFFLE"

"You americans are all a bunch of idiots for making this stupid survey, no wonder why the world hates you."

"pee"

hmm...i always call it as i see it - dr. pepper, coke, diet whatever, which all fall under soda.

carbonated beverage has a nice ring, though ^_^

why do people have a fondness for using trademarked names for generalities? (Kleenex, Xerox, Band-Aid, Aspirin)

Edited by sevfiv

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in a "Coke" area but I call it soda. Today I'm working in a "Coke" area and they have been calling it "pop" all week long.

In my hometown, "Coke," "soda," and "soda water" were the most common names, and were almost exclusively broken down by racial and socioeconomic lines.

I usually ask for a coke in a general sense or for a soda. And sometimes I specify by brand name.

And I also can't stand when people ask me for a pop or do that stupid "You owe me a pop."

I usually tell them, "Oh, ill give you a pop alright!" :angry2:

Edited by Talbot