METRORail University Line

ricco67

I don't think this is the final route, it's just one of the possible routes. They haven't announced the results yet.
the route will be final after vote.

Are they voting yes or no to this route, or are they voting on which of 3 possible routes will be chosen? I thought it was the later...

My point was that this vote isn't final and won't necessarily be final. It's one of the possible routes that could be final.

Edited by Jax

I certainly hope you're right.

So do I but that extra jog across the freeway won't be cheap, so I'm expecting that route will get the ax. I do think the extra ridership would be worth it though.

Are they voting yes or no to this route, or are they voting on which of 3 possible routes will be chosen? I thought it was the later...My point was that this vote isn't final and won't necessarily be final. It's one of the possible routes that could be final.
pretty ambiguous reporting, huh? here's the chron article. I can't figure it out: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5223782.html

2:35 Adopted! Going West: Richmond, Cummins, Westpark to Hillcroft Transit Center. Going East: Wheeler, along Ennis, North to Scott, along Elgin, and ending at the Eastwood Transit Center.

Edited by lockmat

pretty ambiguous reporting, huh? here's the chron article. I can't figure it out: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5223782.html

2:35 Adopted! Going West: Richmond, Cummins, Westpark to Hillcroft Transit Center. Going East: Wheeler, along Ennis, North to Scott, along Elgin, and ending at the Eastwood Transit Center.

./... so I guess that map wasnt accurate on the East side..

./... so I guess that map wasnt accurate on the East side..
WHEW!!!!Miya gave me quite a scare, but I should've known better. I saw her moderate a panel discussion not long ago and was not at all impressed.
Wait a second. Ennis and Scott don't intersect. She's still misreporting... <_<

How come a ten-mile line for us costs about $715 million, but a 40-mile line in Dallas costs about the same?

How come a ten-mile line for us costs about $715 million, but a 40-mile line in Dallas costs about the same?

Where'd you get the number for Dallas? I am quite certain Dallas is not building 40 miles for $715 million or anything close to that. For example, here is Dallas news report that speaks of a 21 mile expansion of DART rail at a total cost exceeding TWO BILLION DOLLARS

Sounds good to me! Now when do they get started and when will I be able to ride on it?

Does anyone know much about any right of way issues here? Specifically, how much more will they need on either side of Richmond east of Kirby towards downtown? I saw some documentation once but can't find it...

Will the Davenport bite the dust? The old center (the Sandman?) looks rough as he$$, but I always thought it was pretty cool

^^Holy ____!

Where'd you get the number for Dallas? I am quite certain Dallas is not building 40 miles for $715 million or anything close to that. For example, here is Dallas news report that speaks of a 21 mile expansion of DART rail at a total cost exceeding TWO BILLION DOLLARS

I heard it wrong then. My bad. I was thinking thier new Green Line was going to be 40-miles, when it is actually putting the entrie DART system to 40-miles.

Edited by Trae

It makes sense to me that if they're going to lay the tracks and burry them, why not just save yourself the trouble and go all the way. To me this is good news!

I wonder how likely it is that parts of it will be elevated and or buried. Either way, more rail is good news for me.

Probably. I wonder what they will do with the stations. Will all of them be street-level? That will be a nightmare waiting to happen on the Uptown (light-rail) Line. An elevated station would be cheaper, but maybe not as aesthetically pleasing (plus, the people there love their little futuristic signs). Subway maybe?

Do yall think the areas closest to the intersections of rail lines will now be some of the most desirable places to live? I would think that developers would really love to build there.

Yes, in some cases. No in others. Don't hold your breath on a massive TOD project along Alabama in the heart of the 3rd Ward just yet, or near the Magnolia Transit Center, or Palm Center.

But there are probably some multifamily developers out there oogling east Downtown, Hardy Yards, Uptown, southern Midtown, and everything along Richmond between Midtown and Greenway Plaza.

Just read the updated article on the Chronicle website, and am thrilled! Not only does the University line run down Richmond, where it should be, but the fact that Metro has reversed itself on the use of BRT on the other lines, and go exclusively with light rail, is great news. Now the next challenge is getting the funding approved. Hopefully Culberson and his ilk won't be able disrupt that.

FANTASTIC! It needs to go to Eastwood and it does. This is great news!

Metro officials said they would have liked to continue to Eastwood Transit Center, as several speakers today urged them to do. Wolff said Metro hopes to eventually complete that link, which would pick up Park & Ride bus riders from the Clear Lake area and Pearland, and East End residents.

"We don't think we quite have the money now," Wolff said. The added length, including a Gulf Freeway underpass, would have raised the cost by $60 million and generated about 2,600 more daily riders, he said.

the chron sure makes it sound like it isn't going to eastwood.

instead of continuing on Elgin to the Eastside Transit Center — would turn east on Alabama and end at Scott and the University of Houston. From there, it would piggyback north on the Southeast line tracks along Scott, and turn east on Elgin, cross the Gulf Freeway and into the Eastwood Transit Center
I am confused. First they say it doesn't go to Eastside Transit Center (?) and instead it goes to Eastwood Transit Center and then they say they would have liked to have it go to the Eastwood Transit Center.So where does it go exactly?
Is Culberson still opposed to it even though it won't be going through the Afton Oaks neighborhood?

Yes. He still wants it to go on the 59 even though it will cost more and have less riders.

Edited by Jax

Yes. He still wants it to go on the 59 even though it will cost more and have less riders.

And TxDOT says that it would make 59 not meet safety standards.

All LRT, Man they knocked that one out of the park. Hopefully now they will be able to do things like Uptown-Downtown lines since they will all be LRT.

Edited by wakester