METRORail University Line

ricco67

I wish Annise had at least reaffirmed her belief that we need to expand our light rail system. Richmondrail.org endorsed her and Brown but not Locke.

I am starting to get annoyed at her for bombarding me with anti-Locke attack ads which sometimes mention how fiscally responsible she is, but never mention about any of the issues I really care about (such as public transportation). I get about two Annise Parker for mayer attack ads per day. Some of they don't clearly mention her name, and only say "Gene Locke is bad" and then in fine print it says it's paid for by Annise Parker.

I wish Annise had at least reaffirmed her belief that we need to expand our light rail system. Richmondrail.org endorsed her and Brown but not Locke.

I am starting to get annoyed at her for bombarding me with anti-Locke attack ads which sometimes mention how fiscally responsible she is, but never mention about any of the issues I really care about (such as public transportation). I get about two Annise Parker for mayer attack ads per day. Some of they don't clearly mention her name, and only say "Gene Locke is bad" and then in fine print it says it's paid for by Annise Parker.

Exactly. She is sooo responsible that she sent my home 5 ads in 2 day! Wow, that is what I call watch the pennies!

blink.gif

Just hope the FTA sees beyond this mini-Delay scheme and the process of getting this line and Uptown built moves forward.

Edited by JJVilla

How much money is that bone-head Culberson ultimately going to cost the people in his district by trying to slow down this project with all his delay tactics. They are not going to stop the University Line any more than they could stop the red line. But I guess that won't stop Culberson from wasting tax payer dollars in his futile efforts.

I wish I could redesign the university line so that it could run right through the houses and businesses of the people who are trying with all their might to keep Houston from progressing. It's disgusting to see people like Culberson thwarting the will of the voters so that they can put their own personal interest above the good of the many.

Edited by Peeping Tom
  • Like 1

I am starting to get annoyed at her for bombarding me with anti-Locke attack ads which sometimes mention how fiscally responsible she is, but never mention about any of the issues I really care about (such as public transportation).

Whereas Locke is a well-connected insider that will probably go out of his way to preserve old relationships, Parker took a pretty firm stance early on that METRO needs to be more transparent and do a better job communicating with its stakeholders. She used verbiage that could've lifted straight from some of my posts about them on HAIF.

Brown took a similar position when he was running, although I don't believe it was a genuine one on his part. Still, the endorsements by richmondrail.org to the non-good-ol-boy candidates would seem to make sense.

• Like 1

FTA APPROVES UNIVERSITY CORRIDOR LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT

PROJECT ADVANCEMENT TO PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING PHASE

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) notified METRO that it has approved Houston’s University Corridor Light Rail Transit (LRT) project into the Preliminary Engineering (PE) phase of the FTA’s New Starts program.  METRO can now move forward with engineering activities as publication of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and approval of a Record of Decision are eminent.

METRO officials were elated with the good news, and its timing.  “This is a great holiday present for Houstonians. The New Year is going to be full of activity as the University corridor has achieved another major milestone.” said Frank J. Wilson, METRO President and CEO.  Work along three other light rail transit corridors, also approved in the 2003 voter referendum, is already underway. 

The University Corridor is an 11.3-mile double-track, 19-station, LRT line.  The FTA’s notice cited improved transit travel time and reliability. Implementation of the University LRT line is projected to improve public transit travel times among commuters along Richmond Avenue making it more competitive with the automobile.  The University line is projected to generate 49,000 boardings per day by the year 2030 and will provide a connected network serving Houstonians commuting from east, west and southwest to the city’s principal destinations and activity centers.

• Like 2

FTA APPROVES UNIVERSITY CORRIDOR LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT

PROJECT ADVANCEMENT TO PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING PHASE

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) notified METRO that it has approved Houston’s University Corridor Light Rail Transit (LRT) project into the Preliminary Engineering (PE) phase of the FTA’s New Starts program.  METRO can now move forward with engineering activities as publication of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and approval of a Record of Decision are eminent.

preliminary engineering means?

• 1 month later...

looks like METRO is now going to claim more land than they were previously claiming.

full article

The planned University route for METRO's light rail may require the acquisition of an additional 23 acres, according to the final environmental impact study on the project.

Much of that additional land will be need along Richmond Avenue, meaning land losses for a number of businesses.

"Potential acquisitions and displacement are expected at signalized intersections and at some transit stations," the report said. "Every transit station located on the street will have a traffic signal. Additional right of way will be needed to accommodate left-turn lanes at key signalized intersections."

sounds like more lights along richmond if that is the case.

Edited by musicman

looks like METRO is now going to claim more land than they were previously claiming.

full article

The planned University route for METRO's light rail may require the acquisition of an additional 23 acres, according to the final environmental impact study on the project.

Much of that additional land will be need along Richmond Avenue, meaning land losses for a number of businesses.

"Potential acquisitions and displacement are expected at signalized intersections and at some transit stations," the report said. "Every transit station located on the street will have a traffic signal. Additional right of way will be needed to accommodate left-turn lanes at key signalized intersections."

sounds like more lights along richmond if that is the case.

Just saw the broadcast and what really piqued my interest was that they hoped to have it online by 2015 (!).

Looking at the engineering plans, the thing that jumped out and surprised me was the engineering drawings that showed the last station being at Hillcroft, but the line seems to be continuing up until Fondren. The only reason that I could think of is to line up the trains to be ready for "the rush" during the commuting hours. On the east end, there are plans to actually go ahead and the terminus will be at the East End Transit Center which was something that I thought they were talking about EVENTUALLY completing.

Another thing that struck me is how much of the Hillcroft parking lot they are going to use for the maintenance depot there. I wonder if they're going to build a multilevel parking garage there, it makes me wonder if the "structures" might be exactly that. Since there aren't the same indicators like those over at the Eastwood transit center, it's just hard to tell.

Now, if I'm reading this right (Niche?), they plan on keeping the retention pond, but building OVER it and putting the rails on platforms. Kinda' makes me wonder what it's going to be like with corrosion of those pillars in the future. The rest of the plans are just over my head.

This is going to be quite interesting and it seems like a better line than what was discussed initially, but still a pity it couldn't go through A-Oaks and serve lower uptown, but in the end, there was the opportunity to gain more parking for people.

Eh. It's a wash...pity we lose the doggy park, though.

Just saw the broadcast and what really piqued my interest was that they hoped to have it online by 2015 (!).

Looking at the engineering plans, the thing that jumped out and surprised me was the engineering drawings that showed the last station being at Hillcroft, but the line seems to be continuing up until Fondren. The only reason that I could think of is to line up the trains to be ready for "the rush" during the commuting hours.

That's a test track. The Main St. line has one along the railroad tracks going southwest from Fannin South, which from the looks of it hasn't been used since the Siemens LRVs were going through preacceptance testing. I bet they reopen it when the CAF vehicles start arriving.

Another thing that struck me is how much of the Hillcroft parking lot they are going to use for the maintenance depot there. I wonder if they're going to build a multilevel parking garage there, it makes me wonder if the "structures" might be exactly that.

The plans don't call for a parking garage at the Hillcroft TC the way that they've got one indicated as planned for the Eastwood TC. I think that the big "structure" is probably just going to be a re-built Transit Center.

Since there aren't the same indicators like those over at the Eastwood transit center, it's just hard to tell.

Now, if I'm reading this right (Niche?), they plan on keeping the retention pond, but building OVER it and putting the rails on platforms. Kinda' makes me wonder what it's going to be like with corrosion of those pillars in the future. The rest of the plans are just over my head.

That's what it looks like to me.

Thanks for linking to these drawings. The bridge that will be built over the Southwest Freeway is shown on page 88 of the document. They're continuing the suspension bridge concept without the gay red balls. Also, suspension wires will be hung at an angle.

The plans don't call for a parking garage at the Hillcroft TC the way that they've got one indicated as planned for the Eastwood TC. I think that the big "structure" is probably just going to be a re-built Transit Center.

That's what it looks like to me.

Thanks for linking to these drawings. The bridge that will be built over the Southwest Freeway is shown on page 88 of the document. They're continuing the suspension bridge concept without the gay red balls. Also, suspension wires will be hung at an angle.

Well, I was wondering if that was the case since they didn't use the same symbols on the H-TC.

Once construction starts there, I'm going to be interested to see how they handle the problem of those basins filling up during the heavy rainstorms.

I'm still a little bummed about the 2015 completion date, but at least it looks like the ball is finally rolling.

The FEIS shows a 3,000 space parking garage at the Hillcroft Transit Center. (Table 2-13, Page 2-49)

Edited by Houston19514

Any chance 2015 is just a conservative estimate and they might get it done a little sooner?

That's what I'm thinking (and hoping). That way, even though it has taken such a long time they can still have a nice "completed ahead of schedule" PR at the end

Any chance 2015 is just a conservative estimate and they might get it done a little sooner?

drive down fulton and get back with us. oh wait it's closed. METRO has been quiet so that there would be no complaints once their announcement that the richmond line would be 3 years later than they prounouced.