METRORail University Line

ricco67

But how much more comfortable is a bus in an HOV from Katy to Downtown than a train on the same route?

i agree.. its been a few years, but i've ridden them before...

They're more comparable to greyhound coaches then regular busses... much more comfortable seats and more leg room.

The ride isn't as smooth as rail... but... its also not nearly as bad as your typical stop and go herky jerky bus ride because it is typically on freeway or hov lanes.

But how much more comfortable is a bus in an HOV from Katy to Downtown than a train on the same route?

It'd be hard to compare them to a commuter train that doesn't exist. However, my point was not that the P&R busses would be more comfortable than a train or that rail bias would be eliminated. My point was that rail bias would be lesser than any that has been studied.

My question for anyone who knows more about this than I do is: how likely is this "doomsday scenario". Was it just KHOU putting an angle on the story or is there real cause for concern that the University Line might be put off even onger than it already has been?

Light rail funding still has hurdles to clear

Despite the optimism expressed by Metropolitan Transit Authority officials last week, the agency still has some hurdles to clear before it gains federal funding for two of its light rail lines.

Changes in federal rules for evaluating transit projects have improved the cost-effectiveness scores for Metro's planned North and Southeast lines above the minimum levels for funding, Metro President and CEO Frank Wilson announced last week.

As a result, he said, Metro no longer will need to resort to the less expensive alternative of Bus Rapid Transit and can build the light rail that voters approved and were promised.

But because the rule changes affect all applicants, the competitive position of Metro's projects might not improve.

Federal funding is not an issue for the Uptown and East End lines, which Metro plans to pay for itself, backed by booming sales tax revenue. The University line always had the kind of ridership and cost projections to qualify for federal dollars, Metro says.

Among the FTA rule changes, Metro says, is a willingness to consider "rail bias"

I gave the bus every chance when I moved here first, but it was just too unreliable. With LRT I know that unless someone tries to make a left turn in front of one or something, there'll be one along in ten minutes....

Yeah, that is a strong advantage with LRT. There will always be on time, unless some idiot decides to make an illegal left turn, or walk right in front of the train. That would be the only time buses are more flexible, becauser a bus can move around the accident, BUT the bus could do the same for the light rail riders who are waiting for the wrecked train (as little as the wrecks are happening now though).

metrorail1018.jpg

This is great news for Houston!

While the BRT lines would have been a step forward and an improvement over the current situation, these light rail lines will create established, committed transportation corridors that will attract long term urban development.

Are you for or against rail?
Depends on implementation.In its current configuration, average speeds for LRT are too low and conflicts with vehicle traffic too great. If elevated, the costs go up, but the negative external impacts are dramatically reduced and average speeds can be improved. I'm willing to spend money to obtain benefits exceeding the investment. I'm unwilling to spend money for very litte or even negative returns.But if we're still talking about commuter rail, well no, it just doesn't make a lick of sense.
I gave the bus every chance when I moved here first, but it was just too unreliable. With LRT I know that unless someone tries to make a left turn in front of one or something, there'll be one along in ten minutes....
Yeah, local bus routes need improving.

I've tried searching, but can't find the info I need.

Does anyone know if Metro is going to be taking land along Richmond for the University line? If so, how much and where?

yes they are. i believe some between the spur and montrose will be taken. there's an earlier thread as well with some description. probably some other will be taken but i don't remember any more specifics.

Edited by musicman

Who knows how comfortable a commuter train would be though. It could be like a (comfortable) airplane.

My only experience with commuter rail is Chicago's METRA trains, and I found METRO's P&R busses on HOV lanes to be of comparable comfort.

My only experience with commuter rail is Chicago's METRA trains, and I found METRO's P&R busses on HOV lanes to be of comparable comfort.

i have taken the MTA Metro-North Railroad and its fairly descent for the amount that its used for. the best commuter rail is in zurich in my opinion; clean, comfortable and spacious...

While driving down Richmond today, I happened to notice the lack of something;

NO Anti-Rail signs posted anywhere from Afton Oaks on down to Montrose that I have been able to spot.

Also, I noticed a Variance request over between Shepherd and Greenbriar. Anyone have a clue on this one?

yes they are. i believe some between the spur and montrose will be taken. there's an earlier thread as well with some description. probably some other will be taken but i don't remember any more specifics.

and there will be more eminent domain along Cummins, the 59 feeder (both n & s), and Westpark where the line turns from Richmond, crosses 59, and turns again to Westpark.

the takings in the DEIS were merely suggestions. I expect the final tally to be higher.

While driving down Richmond today, I happened to notice the lack of something;

NO Anti-Rail signs posted anywhere from Afton Oaks on down to Montrose that I have been able to spot.

Also, I noticed a Variance request over between Shepherd and Greenbriar. Anyone have a clue on this one?

Westbound, the last house in AO... they've had a big banner up on their fence (separating AO from the center with the cajun restaurant and the bbq rest. ) from the beginning.... It was stil there Friday.. you might have missed that one.

But otherwise, I do agree, most of come down.

Edited by Highway6

and there will be more eminent domain along Cummins, the 59 feeder (both n & s), and Westpark where the line turns from Richmond, crosses 59, and turns again to Westpark.

the takings in the DEIS were merely suggestions. I expect the final tally to be higher.

So ... no one really knows yet? Any ideas about what will happen along Richmond between Montrose and Shepherd?

I ask because my fiance's mother lives over there.

I still don't understand for the life of me why they're going to leave out rail on the Katy Freeway. If anyplace in the Houston metro could benefit from rail, it would be this area corridor.

Things just don't make sense to me in Houston! :angry2:

That great big right of way would have been perfect, but now its a feeder road. My guess is that it would take another 20 years to build the infrastructure (inner loop transport) to make a commuter rail feasible for enough people, by which time the freeway would be completely unusable for anyone.

A lot of commerce travels on I-10 through Houston with no way around it, so the freeway needed something. Unfortunately if you build it they will come. And build more subdivisions.

Its just not the same as other rail systems, look at the picture of the one you showed in LA. Why do other cities rail systems have more cars connected, and Houston's usually have just 1 or 2 connected?

Actually, while driving to work the other morning, there were 4 cars connected on the Red Line. Usually, though, they are in 2's, but I guess for the morning commute, there was a need for 4. I think probably the frequency of the trains running down the Red Line only requires 2 cars each most of the time.

Thanks sidegate for the Tx Mo link.

Edited by houstonfella

Well, THAT is interesting, and while I don't doubt your word, I find it very difficult to believe. The only reason why imagine they would do that is to stage a set of trains at the north, or perhaps they might have broken down or something and were towing it back to the barn.

While the downtown MetroRail stations can only accomodate two-car trains, some of the boarding platforms on the southern end of the line in the Medical Center and Reliant Park areas can accomodate longer trains. But Metro only runs two-car trains in passenger service due to the block and boarding platform lengths downtown.

I don't know, I was wondering that the other day, I would have figured that would have to run 3 trains and it would require closing a street or 10. But one thing I have noticed about some of the streets that were closed off on main street, it seems that street is being closed off completely and used for development like the one I have seen over by Binz and San Jacinto.

Do you guys think this might be a trend? We may inadvertently be making quite a number of "superblocks" along the rail lines if this trend continues.