Galveston - 1909

editor

I wonder what the transmission tower in the middle is. It doesn't look like AMs of the day. I wonder if it's TV. Maybe KHOU in its KGUL/Galveston days.

Or it could be a longwave station for communicating with the ships in the gulf. I'll have to do some research and see if there was ever an AT&T station on the island.

I wonder what the transmission tower in the middle is. It doesn't look like AMs of the day. I wonder if it's TV. Maybe KHOU in its KGUL/Galveston days.

Or it could be a longwave station for communicating with the ships in the gulf. I'll have to do some research and see if there was ever an AT&T station on the island.

there was a large old timey themepark there and my first

thought was to look for it. perhaps they were building that.

there was a large old timey themepark there and my first

thought was to look for it. perhaps they were building that.

maybe not here's the photo of that:

6a15605r.jpg

i wonder if the first photo was photographed near the pier close to the lefthand side of this photo...

Edited by torvald

I couldn't really find much information on historic longwave ship-to-shore stations.

Currently, the nearest station to Galveston is WLO/Mobile, Alabama. But in the past there used to be many more stations then there are today, so it's still possible it's what I think it is.

For those who care, there is currently a longwave station on Galveston Island. GLS broadcasts at 206 AM from a 300-foot-tall anteanna.

I like how that one place on the lower right hand side advertises itself as a "moving picture parlor"!

Does anybody else remember the Goggan's music and music instrument store in downtown Houston back in the 30s, 40s and 50s? It was the same Thos. Goggan and Bros who also had a music and music instrument store on Seawall Blvd in Galveston, as clearly shown in that wonderful old photo from 1909.

I'm willing to bet that the store in this photo was wiped out in the 1915 hurricane, which may have been when the Goggan family moved the business to Houston. That's just pure speculation on my part. Thanks to whomever found it and put it up there.

Does anybody else remember the Goggan's music and music instrument store in downtown Houston back in the 30s, 40s and 50s? It was the same Thos. Goggan and Bros who also had a music and music instrument store on Seawall Blvd in Galveston, as clearly shown in that wonderful old photo from 1909.

I'm willing to bet that the store in this photo was wiped out in the 1915 hurricane, which may have been when the Goggan family moved the business to Houston. That's just pure speculation on my part. Thanks to whomever found it and put it up there.

I remember Goggan's very well. My dad got to know several of the employees and they would come over to our house on Sunday afternoons to play the organ and piano. You could find almost any song in their sheet music files.

I think it was right across the street from Sakowitz. It was still open in the late 60s, because I bought posters of instruments and other items for my music classes at U of H.

Edited by Alpha

I remember Goggan's very well. My dad got to know several of the employees and they would come over to our house on Sunday afternoons to play the organ and piano. You could find almost any song in their sheet music files.

I think it was right across the street from Sakowitz. It was still open in the late 60s, because I bought posters of instruments and other items for my music classes at U of H.

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite "historical trivia" questions. What does the proper and orderly conduct of a meeting have in common with Galveston and the Sea Wall? A lot. Check out this link to The Engines of Our Ingenuity on the KUHF website. http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1099.htm

You have a good memory! here is a photo from the Bailey collection that is dated 1952, which is before the Sakowitz at Main and Dallas was built. You can barely make out the Goggan's sign on the right. It must have been on the southeast corner of Main and Dallas.

You have a good memory! here is a photo from the Bailey collection that is dated 1952, which is before the Sakowitz at Main and Dallas was built. You can barely make out the Goggan's sign on the right. It must have been on the southeast corner of Main and Dallas.

I just learned that I have been doing the Goggan family a serious disservice, by understating the size of their music business. The Texas Handbook says Thos. Goggan and Brothers were established in Galveston in 1866, and they were pioneers in selling quality musical instruments and sheet music in Texas. By the turn of the 20th century, they had branch stores in Houston and San Antonio. They were very big once upon a time.