Toro St.

Subdude

I'm guessing this old card dates from prohibition and was used for discreet advertising for some speakeasy. However, I can't find any record of a Toro Street in Houston. The card is from Monterey Mexico. Could it be a misprint?

ToroSt.jpg

Wow, that's a good question. I wonder if Sanborn Maps would tell? Try Houston Public Library and TXDOT. They both store some free/available Sanborn Maps.

You probably already know this, but Sanborn Maps were originally created for assessing fire insurance liability in township or city areas throughout the United States. These Sanborns signify a resource of historical information today for various fields of occupation including environmental site assessments. I have worked with Sanborn Maps for at least a decade and find them chock full of professtional and personal interesting facts! Try for the free first because they are not cheap!

Good Luck Subdude!

I'm guessing this old card dates from prohibition and was used for discreet advertising for some speakeasy. However, I can't find any record of a Toro Street in Houston. The card is from Monterey Mexico. Could it be a misprint?

could toro have been a code word?

what about looking up the phone number in a thirties directory?

or finding out where the ECHO exchange was located?

why only october 2nd through 7th? is that what that means???

or does it mean from 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock in october???

Thanks guys. I looked in the telephone exchange topic and Echo doesn't even appear to have been a local exchange. Now I'm more confused than ever. :unsure:

What I think is funny in that picture is that there is a spitoon on the floor. Yuck!

this is reaching...but could Houston have been the name of the american section of monterrey?

or the name of an Exhibition that occurred from Oct 2-7th?

or maybe the Houston Hotel?

sounds crazy that they would name something after Gen. Sam Houston though.

is there a toro st. in Monterrey?

Edited by gnu

Very intriguing. What's the connection to Monterrey? Mailed from there? or just the notation in the lower right corner? If from Mexico (for Mexicans visiting Houston), why in English?

I have photocopies of dozens of ads from Houston papers in the 1920s; phone numbers for businesses were a prefix and 4 digits; Preston and Hadley were two downtown exchanges.

I realize it's only an artist's conception, but would a speakeasy have had an uncovered window where anyone could peek in and see the hooch lined up behind the bar? The clothing doesn't look like the 1920s, either.

FWIW, city and county fairs and expositions were usually held in the autumn in the 20s (and probably other eras). It was very common for Mexican cultural, civic, political or even military organizations to be invited to participate because of the possible benefits to trade relations. The President of Mexico was invited to the Houston Fair and Exposition held out on Harrisburg in the fall of 1921 and sent a delegation.

Very intriguing. What's the connection to Monterrey? Mailed from there? or just the notation in the lower right corner? If from Mexico (for Mexicans visiting Houston), why in English?

I have photocopies of dozens of ads from Houston papers in the 1920s; phone numbers for businesses were a prefix and 4 digits; Preston and Hadley were two downtown exchanges.

I realize it's only an artist's conception, but would a speakeasy have had an uncovered window where anyone could peek in and see the hooch lined up behind the bar? The clothing doesn't look like the 1920s, either.

FWIW, city and county fairs and expositions were usually held in the autumn in the 20s (and probably other eras). It was very common for Mexican cultural, civic, political or even military organizations to be invited to participate because of the possible benefits to trade relations. The President of Mexico was invited to the Houston Fair and Exposition held out on Harrisburg in the fall of 1921 and sent a delegation.

Perhaps the Monterrey notation indicates where the card was printed?

Anything printed or written on the other side of the card?

It's my understanding that liquor "by the drink" wasn't sold in Texas until 1973 (bars provided set-ups and customers brought their own bottles). Was that also the case prior to Prohibition?

Anyone know what time of year Notsuoh was held?

And would anyone care to speculate on the purpose of those towels hanging in front of the bar? :o

Anyone know what time of year Notsuoh was held?

And would anyone care to speculate on the purpose of those towels hanging in front of the bar? :o

No-Tsu-Oh was generally held in November. It ended in 1915, I believe.

Now that I think about it, doesn't that picture look a little off? That looks more like a bar in Dodge City, Kan., from 1883 rather than Houston in 1923. I think someone dressed like that in Houston during Prohibition would have drawn a few stares.

Since the card only has 3 digits it must be earlier than 1920's when there were less telephones.

No-Tsu-Oh was generally held in November. It ended in 1915, I believe.

Now that I think about it, doesn't that picture look a little off? That looks more like a bar in Dodge City, Kan., from 1883 rather than Houston in 1923. I think someone dressed like that in Houston during Prohibition would have drawn a few stares.

Yeah, those characters look a little "off." I just thought they were the artist's impression of typical cowboy Texans. ^_^

The back of the card is blank. Maybe the Echo phone number and Toro St. address reference to the city where the card was passed out, although since it is in English that probably woudn't have been Monterey.

This is an interesting card. I hope someone finds its background.

It's possible that the card is bogus, similar to other Texas postcards with exaggerations like the Jackalope.

Made for a specific group of people who were only going to be here a few days... like a convention.

A humorous card to take back to Yankee land.

Come to think of it, wasn't the Democratic National Convention in the 1920s here in Houston?

Here's a portion of the 1913 Houston Map. No Toro St listed.

240560283_f29d692162_o.jpg

The towels could be a form of decoration or for the more "saturated" patrons spilling their poison!

Or, the towels could have been an artisan's "inviting" touch compared to the more realistic "rag-on-the-counter" type image.

just some more shots in the dark, but what kind of paper is it printed on? is there anything at all on the back - designs, lines, typed text?
It's postcard sized and paper, but there is nothing at all on the back.
another reach....

How about Houston, Minnesota?

there IS a moose behind the bar

I went and checked maps of Houston Minnesota and there doesn't seem to be a Toro St. there either. It would seem like it was too small a place. There is a Toro St in San Luis Obispo, CA, but it seems odd that a lot of people from there would be coming to Houston for something.

Made for a specific group of people who were only going to be here a few days... like a convention.

A humorous card to take back to Yankee land.

Come to think of it, wasn't the Democratic National Convention in the 1920s here in Houston?

The convention was here in 1928, but it would have probably been in August. It could just be a gag souvenir, but it still seems a little obscure to have added the address and phone number.

It's postcard sized and paper, but there is nothing at all on the back.

I went and checked maps of Houston Minnesota and there doesn't seem to be a Toro St. there either. It would seem like it was too small a place. There is a Toro St in San Luis Obispo, CA, but it seems odd that a lot of people from there would be coming to Houston for something.

The convention was here in 1928, but it would have probably been in August. It could just be a gag souvenir, but it still seems a little obscure to have added the address and phone number.

The 1928 Democratic National Convention was held in Houston during the last week of June.

Edited by FilioScotia

I would contact the antique man heres a link.The link His email address is theantiqueman@pdq.net Wishnow Funiture has been around for more than 70 years in Bellaire tx.

Edited by Marty