Toll Road Planned Through Heights

Subdude

Nov. 24, 2004, 4:54AM

Neighbors fear toll road will be built in the Heights

Abandoned rail line could turn into widened part of U.S. 290

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

An abandoned railroad line that weaves its way through the Heights is becoming one of the most important properties in the area, thanks to a recent vote by the Harris County Commissioners Court.

On Aug. 24, Judge Robert Eckels and the four county commissioners voted unanimously to allow the Harris County Toll Road Authority to enter into negotiations with the Texas Department of Transportation to purchase 100 feet of right of way that once was home to the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad line.

For the toll road authority, the vote is an important step toward potentially easing traffic for drivers who commute to and from downtown Houston every day.

But Heights residents see it as something far more dangerous. They say it would cut a swath through the neighborhood and effectively send residents scurrying out of the area.

Patricia Friese, public information officer for the Harris County Toll Road Authority, said Heights residents are being premature in assuming the toll road is going to be built.

Heights residents also believe it is an example of the city of Houston and Harris County placing far more emphasis on the convenience of suburban commuters than the quality of life of people who choose to live in the heart of the city.

"We got this from a bunch of people all at the same time," said David Bush, director of programs and information for the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance, speaking of the notice of the Commissioners Court vote. "A number of people have begun to voice concern over it."

The reason for that concern, Bush said, is that the old MKT Railroad tracks cut right through the Heights. Residents who live close to the MKT line say that turning the track into a toll road would not disrupt the area, it would ruin it.

"The MKT Railroad snakes through the neighborhood," Bush said. "Outside the Loop, it runs along Hempstead Highway, and inside the Loop it runs by T.C. Jester north of I-10.

"It enters the Heights at West 7th and crosses Heights Boulevard, then jags southeast and crosses White Oak Drive, White Oak Boulevard and Studemont."

When the TxDOT pulled the rail tracks off the land in 1998, many residents expected the property would be converted into green space in the form of a hike and bike trail that would be part of a nationwide effort to turn abandoned train lines into community space using local and federal funds.

Project extension

But the toll road authority instead wants to use the abandoned trail as an extension of its Old Hempstead Managed Lanes Project, an effort to ease congestion along U.S. 290 by adding four lanes to the highway that could be used by high-occupancy vehicles as well as single-occupancy cars that wish to pay a toll.

The managed lanes along U.S. 290 were initially scheduled to end at the West Loop. But purchasing the MKT right of way would allow those lanes to be extended east to the University of Houston Downtown.

"When I built my house in 2000, I never expected it would be close to a toll road," said Mike Branda, who lives at the intersection of 7th Street and Courtland. "Obviously, I'm concerned. A lot of people would be personally impacted. At Heights and 7th there are homes. There's Donovan Park. There would be a lot of major disruption."

Friese said Heights residents may be overstating the impact the road would have in the Heights.

An existing right of way

"There's an existing right of way there, so they are not going to be tearing down houses," Friese said. "If this thing does go through, I think it would have minimal impact on the community."

Friese said the toll road authority went before the commissioners court to request that if the property is declared surplus by TxDOT

Nov. 24, 2004, 4:54AM

Patricia Friese, public information officer for the Harris County Toll Road Authority, said Heights residents are being premature in assuming the toll road is going to be built.

"There's an existing right of way there, so they are not going to be tearing down houses," Friese said. "If this thing does go through, I think it would have minimal impact on the community."

"We're not coming in with a wrecking ball," Friese added. "The worst case scenario is that you'll have a toll road instead of a rail line — if you can even consider that worst case."

Houston Chronicle

In other words, "Don't worry, we probably won't even build it. And after we do, you won't mind it a bit."

Patricia Friese strikes me as being more than a little disingenuous. This project would be a disaster. HCTRA needs to keep their damn mitts off this property, so that it can be put to some better use - or left exactly as it is.

"Patricia Friese, public information officer for the Harris County Toll Road Authority"

Is Patricia related to Wesley Friese, former Executive Director of Harris County Toll Road Authority? Wesley is now with WP Consulting firm, consulting with RMA's on toll road projects. Nepotism at its' finest....

yes ricco! i was thinking a historic looking trolley line from NW Mall to UHD a block or two from the main street line (or at least ending near houston ave). with the amount of right of way, a hike and bike trail could be an added feature on a separate grade from the trolley line. the hike and bike trail could have period lighting and benches, planters, art. properties bordering the hike and bike/trolley line would begin to open up to it creating a new (or old) type of street life. it would create an entirely new dimension to the heights/washington area, a non-car centered environment spanning from the loop and 290 to downtown.

Why not take it one step further? Make it into a bit of an express and turn N.W. mall INTO a hub for P&R, outgoing rail, and metro hub?

Eventually that mall is going to go the way of GulfGate mall and we DO need some express trains going to and from Downtown from the 610 area

Ricco

Personally I think it would be a grand place to put in a light rail extension.

:D

Ricco

Yes, that would be great but one would also have to ask why the rail tracks were removed from along the Katy freeway, and why the rail tracks were removed from alongside Westpark all to be replaced by tollroads? I say the same fate awaits the Heights despite the faux pacification of the idea of this is not a guaranteed thing or it's at least 10 years away. We all know this will more than likely happen due to the short sightedness of the powers that represent this region. NEVER in my life have I seen a place where roads take such precedence over people and neighborhoods and quality of life, and safety of the people in a city, like I have in this City of Houston. Roads and money literally come before EVERYTHING in this city.

Some have scoffed at me in the past for suggesting the "coincidental" removal of existing rail lines across Houston was all done on purpose and it is all linked back to Tom Delay somehow with his fight against rail in Houston. I still believe that.

But I suppose the last thing the leaders of this city would want is to have a electric high speed train packed full of people zooming along the Katy freeway past all of those oil companies in the "Energy Capital of the World". I mean, how would THAT look?

I hope the residents of the Heights fight to the death against this. Out of all the neighborhoods in this city to destroy, the Heights should be one of the last. Shame on the leaders of this region.

A map of the right-of-way would be helpful - if someone can post one, or a link, it would be appreciated.

Slightly off topic, while searching for a map I discovered that the Missouri Kansas and Texas Railroad was the inspiration for the name of a town west of here - Katy.

Friese said Heights residents may be overstating the impact the road would have in the Heights.

Friese said. "If this thing does go through, I think it would have minimal impact on the community."

"We're not coming in with a wrecking ball," Friese added. "The worst case scenario is that you'll have a toll road instead of a rail line — if you can even consider that worst case."

Houston Chronicle

She's saying a freeway is not much different than a green strip of land. These people must have been lording over the land here for a long time to come up with such an arrogant statement.

Welcome to the forum Glen.

dbigtex hit the proverbial nail on the head calling Ms Friese disingenous.

If there were some award given out for the most brazenly cynical performance by public officials, this would be one of my nominees (The Congressional action last week to protect DeLay would be another contender). Her attitude seems to be "Well, you never complained about those abandoned railroad tracks. Certainly then you wouldn't mind a six-lane expressway plowing through your neighborhood."

On the east side some abandoned track was converted to bikeways in a "rail to trail" project. Something like that would be a lot more appropriate for a neighborhood like the Heights.

I wonder if there will be a referendum on this so people who live in the neighborhood can vote on it. Oh wait, duh, I forgot. Referenda are only supposed to be for rail projects. :unsure:

Isn't there a way we can voice our reservations on the potential use of these lands and perhaps use it for osmething more useful, either a park (like they did in the east side) or perhaps a the express line we talked about earlier in the thread.

I've been getting rather sick of the politicians on both side of the isle thinking of things that'll just screw things up. If we're to do anything, we need to do it while it's at this stage of development.

Ricco

You know...I've been in Houston for 6 years now...not that long. But during this period, i've maintained an optimistic attitude that common sense will ultimately prevail. I'm now starting to resign myself to the thought that 'they' (houston's leaders) should simply pave the city over in concrete 100%....and be done with it. This 'idea' is disgusting at best.

On the east side some abandoned track was converted to bikeways in a "rail to trail" project.  Something like that would be a lot more appropriate for a neighborhood like the Heights. 

The way that right of way became a hike/bike trail and not a freeway, which it was purchased to be, was due to community protests that halted freeway construction until the DOT gave in, then gave up and abandoned their original idea. There were to be houses knocked down for that one though. I wasn't here then in the 70s and don't know the details of how they were able to accomplish such a victory but if those people could do it, then the Heights can too, although when Friese mentions buying the land and holding it for 10 years or so, it appears that they are anticipating some resistance so plan to lay low, like snakes in the grass, lulling the public to sleep, until all indicators look favorable before attempting a sneaky strike, sinking their teeth and injecting their venom into the tender flesh of the victim community.

A map of the right-of-way would be helpful - if someone can post one, or a link, it would be appreciated.

I'm sure if someone has a keymap, it would be very enlightening.

Talking to someone yesterday about the Heights problem, they also said, "if not not light rail, why not a trolly?" I think it would be a good idea, something that would meander at a steady 15mph or so and have no real stops along the line and it would pose little, if any hazards to crossing streets. It would help strickly with that portion of the community move around and get to the store or those that would like to walk to various parts of the heights (and beyond). Don't use the overhead lines for power, put in a 3rd rail. It would speed along darwin award winners. :unsure:

I think it's a solid idea.

Then again, let's get everyone in the Heights a Segway. :D It would probably be done faster and cheaper when everyone starts debating the issue.

Ricco

Couldn't find a map online, but I'm looking at an old city map that shows the MKT tracks running east from Old Katy Road then along 7th in the Heights before turning southeast and crossing under I-10 near Studemont. It then turns eastward again to immediately north of downtown. It looks like any toll road along that route would essentially parallel most of I-10 inside the loop west of 45. On the west side it could be linked with that other genius project on the HCTRA wish list - the toll road through Memorial Park.

Reading about this makes me think again what an unbelievable accomplishment it was to get our inner city freeways built starting with the Gulf Freeway in the 40s.

Without the interests of a few sacrificed for the greater good, where would we be today? ( Eric Slotboom's superb Houston Freeways book covers this in great detail)

I'm not sure where I stand on the proposed tollway, but I do agree that a transportation corridor is a transportation corridor and people should have thought of that when they bought their property.

I take it then that it's safe to assume it won't be going through your back yard. If it were, would you be willing to sacrifice your neighborhood for the common good?

In any event, I think it may be a bit overly simplistic to say that "a transportation corridor is a transportation corridor". Different modes of transport have different impacts on neighborhoods that have to be recognized. For a while I lived in the Heights less than a block away from the tracks. The trains went through the neighborhood slowly and weren't terrible noisy. If anything, they were more of a periodic inconvenience in blocking the streets when you were trying to get someplace. Nobody seemed to feel that the trains were all that disruptive to the area. But a major toll road would be vastly different. It would require permanently closing off some streets, or else if elevated, create dead zones. There would probably be considerable noise. When people bought there they had no reason to think that the tracks would end up as a tollway.

If I'm correct, Metro still holds 50 feet of the original 150 feet area that encompasses the Westpark Tollway. Thats why the Westpark toll is so narrow with no feeders (100 feet). Supposedly, Metro is holding on to this track of land for future commuter rail use.

Glen

A hardy welcome to you Glen.

So removing those rail lines and placing a tollroad there was the correct thing to do? Only to one day add rail tracks again at a higher cost?

I wonder when Metro will really be allowed to place commuter rail alongside that toll road....., when the toll road becomes packed with traffic? But then, won't that take money away from the tollway when people begin to take the train instead? Clearly our leaders would not want that :rolleyes: .

What exactly are the right circumstances for commuter rail to be viable in Houston? Even though Houston has some of the largest freeways in the world, apparently they are not yet large enough and are STILL packed with traffic everyday.

I actually am not asking you these questions directly Glen, I am venting more than anything else. There is too much concrete in this city, a place nationally known for it's bad air. There is too much concrete in this city, a place that is prone to flooding to the degree Houston is. And the plan for sooo much more concrete in our future is discouraging and disillusioning.

Please do not take this post personally. I hope I haven't scared you off. ;)

Reading about this makes me think again what an unbelievable accomplishment it was to get our inner city freeways built starting with the Gulf Freeway in the 40s.

Without the interests of a few sacrificed for the greater good, where would we be today?  ( Eric Slotboom's superb Houston Freeways book covers this in great detail)

I'm not sure where I stand on the proposed tollway, but I do agree that a transportation corridor is a transportation corridor and people should have thought of that when they bought their property.

I have an idea, lets make Memorial drive a tollway from Downtown all the way out to Highway 6. How about turning Kirby Drive into a tollway from Shepard all the way to Reliant Stadium. Tell me Westheimer doesn't need to be a freeway from Midtown all the way to WestOaks Mall. IMO, Bissonette should have been a freeway from Highway 6 all the way to the Museum of Fine Arts, a long time ago. It would be for the greater good wouldn't it? I mean wouldn't it make automobile trips faster?

Just because something CAN be done doesn't always mean it SHOULD be done and a tollway through the Heights should NOT be done.

Well, I'm glad you are here... but if you honestly feel like your voice isn't being heard, or are waiting for other folks to fight for your ideas, you really need to communicate to your representatives (including the County Commissioners) how you feel. Do not become "resigned"... no matter where you are living.

If you are a Midtown resident, than you see examples running through your neighborhood each and every day of people who did not become "resigned" - they fought hard for light-rail... even at times when it looked dead. Light rail was built because many people were dedicated to doing things differently - and better - in Houston.

Tell your reps a tollroad is unacceptable... and offer them better solutions. We have a mayor - and city council - in place that are very receptive to making positive changes in Houston... I seriously doubt they would support such a proposal. And you are right... it is a digusting idea.

Frustration is inevitable... I do admire those that have fought the tough battles including the one that landed light rail. I certainly will not sit quiet...but frankly, it seems as though Houston doesn't care! I'm not waiting for others to fight the battle for me...more so, I'm looking for more people to get off their butts and say "NO" to sensless development like this.

It seems like this board is the only place where I sense any support whatsoever for positive urban development...

The politicians and such will surely hear from me...I just hope that we're able to organize a larger voice over time...

I'm there with you... just remember, there was talk of a tollroad on the railroad tracks through Memorial Park about six months ago. The howls of disapproval were so profound that that idea was snuffed out in days. We can do the same with this ill-advised idea...

Btw, has anyone ever brought up the fact that members of the Harris County Commissioners Court -which has a lot of power - do not have term limits like our mayor and city council? Perhaps that is a topic we should start addressing...

I don't have my mind made up on the proposed Heights toll road. I don't know the neighborhood or the proposed right of way in question well enough to know whether it would be feasible. Obviously a lot of research and discussion would have to be done before building something like this. And we're talking years, probably decades from now before anything would be ready for use.

I just don't see how we can solve our transportaion problems though in a climate of rampant NIMBYism. Nobody wants a rail line, a tollway, or a widened freeway in their neighborhood. If a few people had their way, we would still be debating the desperately needed rebuilding of the Katy Freeway instead of starting construction.

Roads don't always ruin neighborhoods. 610 South sure hasn't hurt property values in Bellaire. The new Westpark Tollway was built on an existing transportation corridor and it blows right past several affluent areas including Royal Oaks without much harm that I can see.

And no, we don't want a freeway down Memorial Drive. At least not the part outside Loop 610.

tomv...I think you mistake 'rampant NIMBYism' for what is truly a call for common sense development.

Regarding the Westpark tollway - it's usage is minimal, and the project is so far behind at the beltway8 exchange, that it's a laughable effort at best. A rail line would have been MUCH more sensible.

Regardint the Katy Freeway, I'm not sure that the appropriate plans were truly debated in a forum that represented the thought of mass Houston. Most reasonable people would agree that improvement is a must...but would also agree that simply choosing the 'build build build' model isn't always appropriate either.

I live along Elgin...and my "backyard" (all three feet of it from my home) virtually borders that road. I would WELCOME a rail line to go up Elgin to the Galleria. The rampant NIMBYism that you refer to is not actually NIMBYism...it's a call for sensible development.

I'd have to agree with Mid-Res,

It's not always a case of NIMBY, but in some cases, it's just a matter of trying to get things that make sense. a highway through the middle of a neighbhood like that may be fine for a few months, but after ahwile it's going to become congested just as the BW8 is, and how Westpark TW will be in a few years. Once that happens, where will new lanes come from?

I think a more feasible commuter train/light rail/neighbhood trolly and park would suffice that area much better.

Ricco

If a few people had their way, we would still be debating the desperately needed rebuilding of the Katy Freeway instead of starting construction.

A few people?

Some people (myself included) are skeptical about the desirability of the I-1/ Katy Freeway expansion.

Some people have grown leery about the relationship between heavily funded elected officials and contractors who stand to benefit from taxpayers' money.

At some point, reason steps in: is this the best way to move people efficiently? Please don't quote anyone, just use your eyes. I-10 is crowded with single-occupant vehicles battling one another. Imagine if they (us) were riding a single efficent train instead.

Yet, this option - this question - isn't open to us. It's a fait accompli. For some reason, our heavily subsidized elected officials have made this choice for us - unlike rail.

But as I was talking about earlier in the topic, do you think all those people will trade their cars in for a ride on a train?

Glen

You're right, Glen. We agree. That's the point.

Please remember that this isn't proposed as a 'freeway' - something to benefit everyone equally. It's a tollway.

In other words, the proposed road is for the benefit of those who can pay a little more to get where they're going - and at the expense of an established neighborhood.

If - when - it becomes more obvious to people that driving their own car isn't in their best interest, they'll explore other options. For them to do so, other options have to exist. I don't believe that Houstonians are backward folk, who wouldn't ever ride in anything without a gun rack. We're a civilized people. Some have already discovered that van pools and HOV lanes and Park & Ride allow greater - not less - freedom.

I'm still pondering the question of toll roads. To me, it looks like a way for people with more disposable income to get everyone else to subsidize their convenience.

I'm still pondering the question of toll roads. To me, it looks like a way for people with more disposable income to get everyone else to subsidize their convenience.

Tollways are an excellent use of limited infrastructure, if you can accept that time is worth different amounts at different times. Sometimes I have to rush home to pick up my kids, or for a medical emergency. Other times, I can take my time, that extra 15 minutes or however long is inconsequential. A natural extension of this is that some peoples time is worth more then that of others, the majority of the time. In a situation such as that, the person who's time is worth more SHOULD have a option that will prevent their time from being wasted. If you're an attorney, and you need to be to court on time, slowing you down isn't going to benefit the rest of us who are in no rush. But helping you along may generate tax revenues that the rest of us can take advantage of.

One of my caveats is that toll roads should be placed on existing throughfares whenever possible. We know that highways can a corrosive effect on neighborhoods when they are directed through them. A tollroad would likely have a similar effect, although not to the extent of freeways due to the pervasive feeder roads. In addition, they should be required to be self-sufficient. That is, they should not be built if the revenues can't support the bond payments, without subsidies from other roads or taxpayers.

Someone mentioned that a toll road would become congested. This isn't true with demand pricing, which raises the price as the road becomes more heavily utilized. That's the essence of a free resource, or a resource with hidden costs. We'll use it up until it's all gone. With a toll road, we'll only use it as long as the benefit outweighs the expense. The West Sam Houston tollway will become even more of a cash cow, as many of the areas it services are difficult to get to without it.

I kinda wish Metro had gotten into the toll-road business and used it to fund light rail development. They could have started with a tollroad on the reconstructed west loop, and perhaps the Gulf Freeway. Harris county government has 0 interest in anything having to do with transportation and quality of life. They're all about development, expense be damned.

As for the train on the Westpark corridor, that would be a waste of time and money. The train needs to be where the people and destinations are. If the issue of collisions could be addressed, I'd say Westheimer would be an awesome location.