University of Houston Campus Developments

elecpharm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Pezman, who ushered the University of Houston athletic department into the Big 12, was fired on Thursday, the school announced.

In a statement, UH president Renu Khator called the move a “difficult but necessary decision as we navigate a paradigm shift in college athletics.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/chris-pezman-ad-fired-19524313.php

• Confused 2

I'm assuming this has more to do with Dana's contract extension, and to a lesser degree, not firing Todd Whitting, than anything else. Aside from some questionable personnel moves, not much to complain about under his direction.

1 hour ago, JBTX said:

I'm assuming this has more to do with Dana's contract extension, and to a lesser degree, not firing Todd Whitting, than anything else. Aside from some questionable personnel moves, not much to complain about under his direction.

Rumor is season ticket renewals for football were not good.  Pezman should have been fired 2 years ago.  Hopefully whoever takes his place will be held accountable.  In my opinion Renu and Tillman have not held the AD accountable for numerous shortcomings - football attendance, the swift decline of the baseball program, women’s basketball…poor amenities at the TDECU football stadium (no bathrooms or concessions on the 2nd level of the home side)… the list goes on and on…

• Like 1

There definitely seems to be donor fatigue among donors and season ticket holders, which is not unique to UH. But I'm sure it hurts our bottom line more. I'm sure they'll find a good replacement. For what it's worth, they do have a good track record (even though most have moved on to bigger jobs).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It looks great!  I hope the University shuts down Cullen to vehicular traffic on football game days.  I remember when TDECU first opened Cullen was filled with food trucks and tailgaters.  If they’re smart they’ll go back to that setup.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, hbg.50 said:

It looks great!  I hope the University shuts down Cullen to vehicular traffic on football game days.  I remember when TDECU first opened Cullen was filled with food trucks and tailgaters.  If they’re smart they’ll go back to that setup.

They've been shutting down Cullen between Holman and Wheeler the past few seasons. It has definitely helped the gameday fun leak out of just the immediate stadium area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, WshfulThnkn said:

Where will the Innovation Hub be built?

The university has revealed some details on the building, which is slated to open in 2025 next to the M.D. Anderson Library on UH's main campus. It will be around 70,000 square feet and will house a makerspace, the Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship, the Energy Transition Institute, innovation programs, and Presidential Frontier Faculty labs and offices.

https://houston.innovationmap.com/university-of-houston-innovation-hub-2660486647.html

• Like 6

When is the Centennial Landscape project breaking ground?

Is the plan to have it done in time for UH's 100th birthday?

I know it involves demolishing a building and other improvements so Imagine it will start within the next year

This one will be off campus, dunno the exact location.

https://www.vaughnconstruction.com/clients/projects/university-of-houston-uh-tmc-701

The 50,000 SF TMC #701 building will be within the Texas Medical Center and provide dedicated space for future students pursuing health professions and population health research. The complex will include new education and conference facilities designed to meet the evolving needs of the university. The project also includes exterior building modifications and site work at the Texas Medical Center.

uh-tmc-701---sized-for-web.jpg?sfvrsn=31

On 8/14/2024 at 12:18 PM, hindesky said:

https://www.vaughnconstruction.com/clients/projects/university-of-houston-hobby-school-of-public-affairs

The new 40,000 SF Hobby School of Public Affairs on the main UH campus, which Vaughn serves as construction manager-at-risk, will feature enhanced faculty and staff workspaces, new landscaping, and upgraded utilities. Following the demolition of the existing O’Quinn Law Library, the new building will serve undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff for the next decade. The building includes a grand entrance to stimulate conversation and social cohesion, a lecture hall for classrooms, labs, and meeting spaces to support learning.

hobby-school---view-from-west_textures.j

• Like 5

I went to an orthopedic doctor this week who used to have a practice at the office tower next to St. Joseph and did surgery there. He said UH is thinking about buying St. Joseph to use for a training hospital for their new medical school. Said the surgery wing is in excellent shape.

• Like 8