Major LA Times Story About Houston

HarryMoto

The article is heavy on the "oil boom" being the key to our current prosperity, and there's always a negative connotation that goes with that in the eyes of many, like we're taking advantage of people. And then the comment about the "lizard skin boots" is cliche'.

It paints us as a bunch of partiers on the Titanic, and maybe that's accurate to a degree. With so many uneducated people here already and more being produced daily, what will happen when oil drops again....or do we expect that never to happen?

The article paints a true picture of Houston. Right now, as back in the early 80s, the parties are happening and there is so much money. To the credit of the L.A. Times, the article also mentions how Houstonians aren't taking this like the boom that went bust. Yes, we are enjoying and seizing the moment. But we are extremely cautious and are proceeding much more carefully than our last great success. No, I don't think oil will go bust any more. $55+ per barrel, I think, will be the norm for now on. So let's party on the bayou! B)

The article is heavy on the "oil boom" being the key to our current prosperity, and there's always a negative connotation that goes with that in the eyes of many, like we're taking advantage of people. And then the comment about the "lizard skin boots" is cliche'.

It paints us as a bunch of partiers on the Titanic, and maybe that's accurate to a degree. With so many uneducated people here already and more being produced daily, what will happen when oil drops again....or do we expect that never to happen?

Based of the rest of the country's misguided generalizations about Houston (and Texas for the most part), I think it's going to be a long time until we see references to oil, cowboy culture, etc. dissipate. Perhaps it never will. Then again, we are a city highly dependent upon energy corporations, and we do have out fair share of snake-skin boots.

But at least in this article they were some "good" snippets. :ph34r:

I think it's going to be a long time until we see references to oil, cowboy culture, etc. dissipate. Perhaps it never will.

Why should we want it to go away? It's part of who we are.

It's Houston - Be Yourself! Whether that be a cowboy, oil tycoon, rap star, crazy illegal alien, NASA geek or granola, you are free to be yourself in Houston.

there was one reference to katrina, about how the "presence of tens of thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees threatens to become a major social problem when government housing assistance to the storm survivors runs out."

in my opinion, the article paints a surreal portrait of houston. i am glad they at least got one sentence of majority reality in there from klineberg, though.

"It's almost palpable, isn't it?" said attorney Michael Solar, one of Trevino's friends, as he waved his glass to indicate the wealth in the packed room.

:wacko:

Why should we want it to go away? It's part of who we are.

It's Houston - Be Yourself! Whether that be a cowboy, oil tycoon, rap star, crazy illegal alien, NASA geek or granola, you are free to be yourself in Houston.

Very true. I suppose my point was more that, typically when you see a reference to Houston, the first thing mentioned is oil, cowboys, etc., and it doesn't stray far from there. Not that there's anything negative about that, since it is a huge part of what this city is. However, there are many other fantastic aspects of this city, and it's nice to see a write up in a major publication about another of these.

Very true. I suppose my point was more that, typically when you see a reference to Houston, the first thing mentioned is oil, cowboys, etc., and it doesn't stray far from there. Not that there's anything negative about that, since it is a huge part of what this city is. However, there are many other fantastic aspects of this city, and it's nice to see a write up in a major publication about another of these.

Don't you think that to a great extent every city is mischaracterized to some degree or another. It is impossible for those outside Houston to understand all that you or you or whomever think it has to offer.

But we are extremely cautious and are proceeding much more carefully than our last great success.

Oh good grief, you believe that, or do you WANT to believe that. We all live in the moment. History reapeats itself...this much we know.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has some good points. I do agree that sometimes we do become generalized and stereotyped ala Urban Cowboy, etc. I travelled to the SFO Bay Area on business many at time and one of the 1st dumb comments I would hear when I returned to Houston was a childish comment on the peoples lifestyles. From my experieces, the only thing I used to see were many, many tourists, mixed cultures and regular family life just as in anywhere else in the US. I guess if someone is looking for something cliche' they will find it. One that striked me as peculiar was while visiting in rural Utah many of the people I met listened to country music but not one seemed to have a southern draw. They thought I was the one that should have had a Texas draw since I was from here. The less educated thought we all lived on ranches with windmills, cattle, chew tobacco, etc.

Edited by Vertigo58