Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

I drove by again this evening and was shocked to see that several of the rides had gone up since I last saw it on Monday. There's one of those circular rides where you go all the way around the loop, and another one where it hangs down and swings back and forth like a pendulum (I'm not too familiar with amusement parks so I couldn't tell you the proper names for these rides). I managed to take a picture from a nearby stoplight, it's not great but you can see what I'm about, as well as the large building under construction. There's also what appears to be a staging area that I stumbled upon on 25th street a few blocks away from the shore that has tracks for (probably) the roller coaster: they are blue and white. I'm pretty excited about this development, I think it's going to be a great addition to Galveston.

Edited by asubrt
  • Like 1

Landry’s Corp. is close to Revealing Plans

0128-LOC-Pier-02-KMC.jpg

GALVESTON — When it first opened in the late 1940s, Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier was the place for entertainment and fun. By this summer, Tilman Fertitta hopes that cache returns as his Landry’s Corp. marks the return of the historic entertainment pier, with a few modern twists.

The track and loops for a roller coaster already are in place, a ride called the Sky Shooter already stands tall, and the framing for the various amusements, games and eateries are taking shape on the 1,130-foot pier at 25th Street and Seawall Boulevard.

For weeks, crews have been working on the pier that once was home to the Flagship Hotel that was dormant since Hurricane Ike struck in 2008.

By Memorial Day, construction should be complete for the entertainment complex that Fertitta said will rival Chicago’s Navy Pier and Coney Island’s Luna Park.

“It will be the typical Tilman Fertitta, Landry’s project that’s first class,” Fertitta said Friday. “It will be a place where families will go to have fun and feel safe and really enjoy themselves.”

Not wanting to spoil the surprise of what Landry’s officials are calling the “big reveal” Monday, Fertitta is keeping the plans for the Pleasure Pier close to the vest but hinted at what’s to come.

There will be a “shrimp-themed” restaurant at the pier to go along with the rides and amusements games that will line the pier.

The pleasure pier has long held a nostalgic place in the heart of those who remember Galveston as the carefree destination of the Third Coast.

“It’s exciting to bring it back,” Fertitta said. “It’s going to be one of the great amusement piers in the country.

0128-LOC-Pier-07-KMC.jpg

0128-LOC-Pier-01-KMC.jpg

0128-LOC-Pier-03-KMC.jpg

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/288954

New rendering of the new Pleasure Pier. Awesome collection of rides. Better than I was expecting. There will be a 100ft steel roller coaster with 4 inversions with parts of it cantilevered over the water. Never seen one like that before.

I was expecting nothing more than typical carnival rides, but it looks like Landry's is going to build some really good quality, signature rides. There will also be a 230ft swing ride and a huge ferris wheel on the end of the pier with LED lights. I think it's also cool that they are building a new log ride too.

407061_284241944974062_177272299004361_820186_1381393663_n.jpg

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 2

Pretty nice there. With Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, Pleasure Pier, and the beach, Galveston is shaping up to be an even better tourist destination for the region. All of those attractions complement each other pretty well. I'm sure cruise ship goers will be happy. Now they need to work on fixing up the beach. Paint the Seawall, add in clean restrooms, plant some tall palms, etc. If gambling ever becomes legal in this state, Galveston will really take off...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on this in the Houston Business Journal. They also have a slide show showing the progress in building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2012/04/pleasure-pier.html

Interesting they put in a 32" thick concrete "floor" on the whole pier in order to provide additonal support for the ride bases.

Supposed to open in time for Memorial Day weekend.

We just went to Mario's for the first time about a month ago. Don't know why we never went before. It was great and even all the kids liked it - which is highly unusual.

At least there is still Casey's that he hasn't bought and watered down to the lowest common denominator.

Don't forget the smaller places like Shrimp 'N Stuff and Leon's.

Every time I hear "Galveston Pleasure Pier" it conjures up a mental image of a Seawall-based 24-hour-video/smoke shop/"adult novelty" store. Or a swingers' bar for beachgoers.

I'm a little disappointed that they will charge an admission fee, unlike the east coast boardwalks or the Santa Monica pier. After all, this seems like the kind of place that would be nice to take a quick stroll and play a few games or grab a drink, but I'm not sure that would be worthwhile with an entry fee, and I doubt I would want to spend an entire day there. Even so, I'm glad to see this project happen.

• Like 1

The original Pleasure Pier was built as a WPA project during the early 1940's. I worked for a plumbing contractor in Houston that had framed progress photos of the structure in their employee break room. The company was one of the original subcontractors. The photos, although black and white, were very clear images. There were bleachers and a grand stand out near the end of the pier, apparently for outdoor performances. The pier itself was constructed to last, kind of like the Hoover Dam.

I was out on the seawall last week. This project is actually pretty impressive. It's far better than what was there. And besides, I think that Tillman will market the ____ out of it and draw a vast quantity of additional more people to Galveston, which will benefit the whole island.

84081052_866e2d9dcf_z.jpg?zz=1

05oct29-2.jpg by wools, on Flickr

RIP Flagship Hotel. An old photo from 2005. It was handheld with a not particularly fast lens; I was very surprised it came out as well as it did. Just wished I'd framed it slightly lower.

Wow, I only moved here a couple years ago after Ike... all I ever saw was the deserted Flagship with a giant hole in it. Apparently it looked much better intact.

I was at Hotel Galvez for a conference yesterday. Part of my ritual when I visit Galveston is to stand on the end of the jettys for a while, watching the waves crash. Anyway, the 25th street pier was the next pier over, so I took some photos and a short video with my phone.

Video:

6976060028_1392f7bb98_z.jpg

Untitled by wools, on Flickr

6976060854_0db73c094f_z.jpg

Untitled by wools, on Flickr

Edited by woolie
  • Like 2