Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

I think part of the problem is Dunlavy. I'd willingly walk from Westheimer to this development if I knew I could stroll and feel comfortable with nice wide sidewalks. Also Phase II is crucial in making this feel better for people. It's sort of on an island at the moment because the infrastructure still sucks. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an example of how not to develop a large scale project. This has been an embarrasment since they first took down the existing residential properties. They might not have been the best looking or well maintained, but a lot of people were happy living there. Now what, 15 years later, this is all they have to show for their lack of efforts. Pathetic. Total ineptitude.

And meanwhile just next door Hanover has built out a major portion of their project in less than 5 years.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This is an example of how not to develop a large scale project. This has been an embarrasment since they first took down the existing residential properties. They might not have been the best looking or well maintained, but a lot of people were happy living there. Now what, 15 years later, this is all they have to show for their lack of efforts. Pathetic. Total ineptitude.

And meanwhile just next door Hanover has built out a major portion of their project in less than 5 years.

At least they kind of learned a lesson (???) by not preemptively tearing down the rest of the Allen House apartments for future phases (that'll probably never come).

I also find it amusing they took a step backwards in momentum/progress lately because at least in a few times over  '21 & '22 they tried some social events (movie night, farmers market) on the empty plot of Regent Square but I guess it wasn't popular enough or they realized folks aren't keen in hanging in an empty block.

Edited by AS_

Posted (edited)

I placed a call to one of the contacts listed on Regent Square's website asking about renderings for the future blocks and I was told:

There are none, but they will be similar to what is constructed on the finished block, and not the 2009 renderings,  and that there are NO IMMEDIATE PLANS to start construction on the new phase.

I also cleaned up the development map, for that area, for projects that are 'Under Construction' or 'On The Boards'.

I'm anticipating, that at some point (when- nobody, knows) the Post Office site and he Kroger's site will be in play.

Imagine HEB building a large mixed use grocery + residential building on the Kroger's site similar to the one on Washington.

and YES! the market can support it, both the HEB, on West Alabama and Washington, are always packed and this one would capture the Kroger's customers. 

image.png.00d812544de89a2f6b0e7dfe4cea36f5.png

Edited by shasta
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, shasta said:

I placed a call to one of the contacts listed on Regent Square's website asking about renderings for the future blocks and I was told:

There are none, but they will be similar to what is constructed on the finished block, and not the 2009 renderings,  and that there are NO IMMEDIATE PLANS to start construction on the new phase.

I also cleaned up the development map, for that area, for projects that are 'Under Construction' or 'On The Boards'.

I'm anticipating, that at some point (when- nobody, knows) the Post Office site and he Kroger's site will be in play.

Imagine HEB building a large mixed use grocery + residential building on the Kroger's site similar to the one on Washington.

and YES! the market can support it, both the HEB, on West Alabama and Washington, are always packed and this one would capture the Kroger's customers. 

image.png.00d812544de89a2f6b0e7dfe4cea36f5.png

Keep in mind that there is also a Whole Foods in the area. But if the Kroger can survive, an HEB definitely could. And then maybe that'd put that Kroger out of its misery and provide a nice redevelopment opportunity for something to actually front West Gray there.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2024 at 8:38 AM, Texasota said:

Given how much Amazon has driven Whole Foods into the ground I would no longer consider them competition for HEB.

Whole Foods is doing fine. Its always busy. I'm in there all the time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having read through the comments and history of this project and with the distinction of saying that I have lived here and have a connection to the arch. industry myself.... It is a colossal failure.

Magnified everyday by the Hanover project across the street. Not to restate the obvious but this section of Houston currently has the most potential for transformative Mixed use high end projects (with some verticality to boost! - Thanks, Hanover for getting it right).

Regent Square should rebrand as an affordable alternative quickly or just die off. Hanover, 101 Waugh, Modera Waugh etc will choke the life out of them and their strip mall "luxury" aspirations. They dare not develop the land they have left. I will call the cops...

Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, OmegaRE said:

Having read through the comments and history of this project and with the distinction of saying that I have lived here and have a connection to the arch. industry myself.... It is a colossal failure.

Magnified everyday by the Hanover project across the street. Not to restate the obvious but this section of Houston currently has the most potential for transformative Mixed use high end projects (with some verticality to boost! - Thanks, Hanover for getting it right).

Regent Square should rebrand as an affordable alternative quickly or just die off. Hanover, 101 Waugh, Modera Waugh etc will choke the life out of them and their strip mall "luxury" aspirations. They dare not develop the land they have left. I will call the cops...

Thanks.

They can still save this development it will jut require a new owner to improve the mistakes made by GID.

They went cheap with every aspect and every single detail of the development which is mind blowing because I know , for a fact, the previous designs cared a whole lot about the details as, at that time, this was one of the premiere projected projects in their portfolio.

Again, I know for a fact, that many details were discussed and in the built version..those same details were IGNORED.

How do you build a development set around restaurant tenants yet provide no interaction between the restaurant and your development?

How do you build an apartment building and totally forget to raise the parapet to cover the roof top condenser units?

How do have a un-leased tenant spaces, despite starting this project IN 2007??

I'm guessing what happened is that the crash happened in 2009-2010, they scrapped this project as a HIGH PROFILE project, and then revisited it as a cheap quick profit project.

before they involved a number of a architecture firms, a master plan by noted planners, and paid attention to EVERY DETAIL.

NOW....Urban Vomit!

They do have contact information listed if you want to inquire about the status of the current block or th efuture phases of this project:

image.png.2b752c8e4d914a001404e282afad78c3.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shasta said:

They can still save this development it will jut require a new owner to improve the mistakes made by GID.

They went cheap with every aspect and every single detail of the development which is mind blowing because I know , for a fact, the previous designs cared a whole lot about the details as, at that time, this was one of the premiere projected projects in their portfolio.

Again, I know for a fact, that many details were discussed and in the built version..those same details were IGNORED.

How do you build a development set around restaurant tenants yet provide no interaction between the restaurant and your development?

How do you build an apartment building and totally forget to raise the parapet to cover the roof top condenser units?

How do have a un-leased tenant spaces, despite starting this project IN 2007??

I'm guessing what happened is that the crash happened in 2009-2010, they scrapped this project as a HIGH PROFILE project, and then revisited it as a cheap quick profit project.

before they involved a number of a architecture firms, a master plan by noted planners, and paid attention to EVERY DETAIL.

NOW....Urban Vomit!

They do have contact information listed if you want to inquire about the status of the current block or th efuture phases of this project:

image.png.2b752c8e4d914a001404e282afad78c3.png

I've seen some key architectural flaws highlighted, especially the condenser crown over the parapets. I would also add, the posture of the restaurants in relation to the street edge is just...ODD. Almost like it assumes the courtyard is mainstreet and West Dallas is some backroad. Several odd choices define this project.

Not to beat a dead horse but Hanover is a destination. Regent Square is parking and some units (many vacant).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, OmegaRE said:

I've seen some key architectural flaws highlighted, especially the condenser crown over the parapets. I would also add, the posture of the restaurants in relation to the street edge is just...ODD. Almost like it assumes the courtyard is mainstreet and West Dallas is some backroad. Several odd choices define this project.

Not to beat a dead horse but Hanover is a destination. Regent Square is parking and some units (many vacant).

It just doesn't make sense because GID spent years working on the master plan.  They hired some of the best planners and architects around the nation to make this a jewel project ...they even built an office across the street to proudly display their vision.....yet FOR WHATEVER REASON they scrapped their masterpiece,  turned the master plan into amateur hour, value engineered the buildings into the cheapest look imaginable, had no clue how to cater their tenant spaces for restaurants and then choose NOT to attract tenants.

How long has this been open and how many boarded storefronts do we STILL have?

No excuses...

RIVER OAKS IS YOUR CATCHMENT AREA- the richest urban neighborhood in the state of Texas!

Did City Centre have this much trouble?

What about the River Oaks District?

What about the urban centers up Kirby?

Build something urban...a coffee shop...a casual restaurant with patio space...something!

Instead they build a cheap version of Georgia James yet nothing about thr facade screams "nice inviting restaurant". 

You enter the restaurant through a mouse hole!

A new owner and a new architect/planner can still save this development but it will take re-imagining it to be on par with Hanover.

No...this isn't hindsight...we were all predicting this fate AS IT WAS HAPPENING!

Edited by shasta
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, shasta said:

It just doesn't make sense because GID spent years working on the master plan.  They hired some of the best planners and architects around the nation to make this a jewel project ...they even built an office across the street to proudly display their vision.....yet FOR WHATEVER REASON they scrapped their masterpiece,  turned the master plan into amateur hour, value engineered the buildings into the cheapest look imaginable, had no clue how to cater their tenant spaces for restaurants and then choose NOT to attract tenants.

How long has this been open and how many boarded storefronts do we STILL have?

No excuses...

RIVER OAKS IS YOUR CATCHMENT AREA- the richest urban neighborhood in the state of Texas!

Did City Centre have this much trouble?

What about the River Oaks District?

What about the urban centers up Kirby?

Build something urban...a coffee shop...a casual restaurant with patio space...something!

Instead they build a cheap version of Georgia James yet nothing about thr facade screams "nice inviting restaurant". 

You enter the restaurant through a mouse hole!

A new owner and a new architect/planner can still save this development but it will take re-imagining it to be on par with Hanover.

No...this isn't hindsight...we were all predicting this fate AS IT WAS HAPPENING!

I can see present regent square becoming the "Hanover Parkview" of the dvlpment. 

Then use the remaining land wisely:

1. Start with a statement: a 25-40 story highrise.

2.  Try to address any deficiencies Hanover has. Idk, high end fitness club? etc.

3. Office space either as a separate building or inclusive of tower - if architecturally desired. I reckon they'll gain tenants. 

4. Ultra walkable/Shade/ restaurants/cafe's etc

Could potentially activate that Allen drive into a small cluster of world class mixed use developments. Very attractive and could completely transform the area and set a tone for Houston.

Welp...if they don't do it, I'm SURE Hanover will. Win/Win.

• Like 3

Now, a new bougie cocktail bar aims to bring its signature mixed drinks to the Allen Parkway corridor. With an opening scheduled later this year, De Fortune wants to give Houstonians a taste of the high life.

Located at 3515 W. Dallas, De Fortune will take its residency in the Regent Square retail center. Self-identifying as "a new level of luxury," the cocktail bar is expected to offer mixed drinks alongside bar snacks. Though details related to a drink menu or official opening date are under wraps, the bar’s press release reveals that De Fortune is scheduled to open late 2024.

https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-upscale-international-bar-opening-19520061.php

EsycdfI.png

Xk3VLTh.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I get why everyone is frustrated with this development, but with the increase in density in the area from Autry park and the 2 new high rises on Waugh, this development will surely change for the better. I really believe the key to any development is density. I really don't see it as bad as everyone is making it out to be. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Now, a new bougie cocktail bar aims to bring its signature mixed drinks to the Allen Parkway corridor. With an opening scheduled later this year, De Fortune wants to give Houstonians a taste of the high life.

Located at 3515 W. Dallas, De Fortune will take its residency in the Regent Square retail center. Self-identifying as "a new level of luxury," the cocktail bar is expected to offer mixed drinks alongside bar snacks. Though details related to a drink menu or official opening date are under wraps, the bar’s press release reveals that De Fortune is scheduled to open late 2024.

https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-upscale-international-bar-opening-19520061.php

EsycdfI.png

Xk3VLTh.png

With the proximity to the bayou they really missed a naming opportunity of Douche Canoe.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

EsycdfI.png

Xk3VLTh.png

Interesting..

Well, they will have a challenge of establishing a brand/identity that Clarkwood has, just down the st. 

Clarkwood is next to Ellio, Andiron.. and has kind of an upscale sultry vibe. 

Can DeFortune work? I'm hopeful.. but those Quake 3 Arena renderings don't give much to work with.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Mexican Sugar is EXACTLY the type tenant they need to create synergy!

Hopefully, Georgia James and Pastore will vacate soon and they can replace them with a tenant that finds a create way to design their lease space, like MS

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...