Robot Garage

ricco67

The garage mentioned in this article is rather cool.

The only thing is that it would probably be best for certain areas like Rice, Montrose, and certain portions of the Med Center. I don't think it would work very well in a downtown building that has a bunch of traffic in and out of the building.

Possibly TMC or Downtown. Nowhere else in Houston unless as part of an Orion-like residential highrise.

I've got to wonder, though, what the construction cost per space is. For that matter, what operating costs are like. ...and how long it takes to retrieve a vehicle. Somehow, I don't imagine that it would be very quick.

Edited by TheNiche

wouldn't the market of an area have to be such that land values were extremely high and parking spaces were very limited.

Yep.

The only other need that would justify this that I could see would be some sort of tremendous need for nearby parking with no plots of land large enough for conventional parking available.

Yep.

The only other need that would justify this that I could see would be some sort of tremendous need for nearby parking with no plots of land large enough for conventional parking available.

Or for security. There's an old skyscraper formerly called the Jewelers Building which was all offices for diamond traders. To reduce the chances of being hijacked, they would drive their cars into the building and onto an elevator in the center which would take them and their car up to their office floor -- they would actually park IN their offices. Then at the end of the day, they'd get up from their desks, put their diamonds in their car and drive it onto the elevator and back down to street level.

35EastWacker-001.jpg

I've always meant to walk around the building's base to see if I can tell where the cars would arrive and depart.

I saw a bed do the same thing on "This Old House " I remember them talking about dust from the floor might ruin your furniture if it didn't seal right. I hate to see my 1986 Lotus Esprit < cough 1979 Ford Pinto cough>. -_- get dirty :P

Edited by Marty